• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Slow Down?

Share/Bookmark

Slow Down?

Over the past few weeks the access speed of this web site has become slower. Today when I went to the listening room there was a long delay after the items were listed before I could access any of them. I did an immediate check and test on my web connection here and ran several other sites for comparison and they were as fast as expected. Coming back here I again experienced the delays.

I hope this is not a hint of things to come.

Tom

Re: Slow Down?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Over the past few weeks the access speed of this web site has become slower. Today when I went to the listening room there was a long delay after the items were listed before I could access any of them. I did an immediate check and test on my web connection here and ran several other sites for comparison and they were as fast as expected. Coming back here I again experienced the delays. I hope this is not a hint of things to come. Tom
    You have verified my experience. But I would add that the site has generally been somewhat slow for a long time, lately becoming worse. Richard

It definitely is slow to load. On occasion a page (or most of the items on a page) will load really quickly, and then go back to being bogged down the next moment.
    -- Matt Wong

Funnily enough, THIS page was very slow to load, both before and after my comment on the Christmas album. The album page loaded pretty much instantly, posted my comment in a flash, but this page took several seconds both times.

Odd.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

The longest delays seem to happen when I hit the button to reply. Twice today the delays have been so long that the server timed out. I did a quick check to be sure it wasn't on this end.

Tom

A bit of a guess here, but I suspect because there is now so little traffic the server is putting the website into idle and effectively shutting down the virtual machine it runs on. The images are not being held in cache because they are not being accessed often enough, so it is a case of everything having to be fired up just like a photocopier first thing in the morning.

Just another sign of the lack of traffic. Vicious circle engaged.

A shame.

A possibility, Alan. So there we have it. Another mandate to get the notes flying and the postings mounting. We may save this thing after-all!

Seriously, we need to up the game.

Tom

All of which causes one to wonder where are all of the folks who formerly asked and answered questions on this forum gone?

I ventured back to 2011 and there were many questions in the general mix- inquiries about sfz, how to make something called a 'demi-semi-quaver', the whole back and forth about how to make the ARIA player more efficient in Sonar, etc, etc, etc.

I realize that Randy - bless his absent, pea-pickin`heart - was a big part of that, but others, my humble self included, took active part in helping each other where we could.

Where did all those folks go? A quick glance at the Finale Forum, the MM forum and the new Garritan MM forum shows that the first two seem to have the same usual denizens as always, and the activity on the Garritan version doesn't come close to that of this one a couple of years back. So- where did all the people go?

It's curious. I am sure that users are still experiencing the same issues we all did- and more!- but there just is not the overall level of activity on the other boards to account for the missing stuff hereabouts.

I am puzzled. Now, off to work on the Christmas song for a couple of hours before supper!
    Last edited by BVstudios; 08-23-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling issues- autocorrect is not my fir..friend!
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    All of which causes one to wonder where are all of the folks who formerly asked and answered questions on this forum gone?

I ventured back to 2011 and there were many questions in the general mix- inquiries about sfz, how to make something called a 'demi-semi-quaver', the whole back and forth about how to make the ARIA player more efficient in Sonar, etc, etc, etc.

I realize that Randy - bless his absent, pea-pickin`heart - was a big part of that, but others, my humble self included, took active part in helping each other where we could.

Where did all those folks go? A quick glance at the Finale Forum, the MM forum and the new Garritan MM forum shows that the first two seem to have the same usual denizens as always, and the activity on the Garritan version doesn't come close to that of this one a couple of years back. So- where did all the people go?

It's curious. I am sure that users are still experiencing the same issues we all did- and more!- but there just is not the overall level of activity on the other boards to account for the missing stuff hereabouts.

I am puzzled. Now, off to work on the Christmas song for a couple of hours before supper!
    There have been a number of things that contributed to the overall decline here and on other sites.

One item was an exclusivity concerning the software. One or two self-appointed guardians took it upon themselves to make it clear that if a person wanted to post here only Garritan samples could be used. That is no longer the case, but at one time it certainly was.

Another item was the many contests and special activities. Remember the monthly and weekly composition challenges? Rewards included Garritan libraries and other goodies. They're gone now. Remember the thrill of the possibility of winning the grand prize and having your composition performed by a professional orchestra? That's gone too.

Another item is that many have moved on to other libraries and have lost interest in this site.

Remember when Gary and a host of developers and insiders frequented the site and shared their own excitement, knowledge and enthusiasm?

Remember when the "little guy" was important and catered to?

Remember when there was always something new with wonderful possibilities just over the horizon? National and international awards being given to the libraries? There were write-ups in the trade journals. Those brought a lot of people to this room.

Well, that's all gone too.

Now - that said, the solution is clear. We have to rekindle new and progressive music techniques. Things that have not been done before. That's what composers do isn't it? Make this a site for beginners and pros alike where the art of composition is a thing to be had in and of itself. A place where new and established are on equal footing.

It would be great if we could find some way to display our craft here - and other places as well - and give by demonstration why people should check in and share their own ideas.

And there is nothing wrong if some of those techniques are controversial.

Bring on the ideas - dig our musical heels in and, "Start spreading the word."

Okay. I'll stop now to catch my breath.

Tom

Yep, those are the issues. I am going to be honest, it's the people who bring me back here not the products any more. It's hard to get excited about a sound library when a notation company owns the software and not the original owner. You don't know what product is coming out

Go Back to forum