• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello Moderators... a forum feature request...

Hello Moderators... a forum feature request...

sponsored links

Hi, as a relative newcomer to these message boards I have to say that reading things like; SOV, VOTA, AO, VSL (I thought VSL was referring to Steinberg\'s Virtual System Link!) was all a bit bewildering at first. After a month I understand most of the acronyms but there are still some that creep in that I have no idea about.

I was wondering if we could have a permenant topic along the lines of; \"Forums Terms Explained\" or something like that? Perhaps post the title underneath; \"Sample Libraries Discussion\" and lock it. This way it just serves as a reference.

If this is not possible I am happy to start a topic of this name and invite the regulars here to add to the list.

What do you think?

Regards, Scott.

Re: Hello Moderators... a forum feature request...

Man, some people just want to have everything served up on a silver platter, don\'t they? It took the rest of us a LOT of effort to figure all that stuff out, and I for one am not in favor of giving the newcomers an easy ride.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you serious? I honestly can\'t tell if you are trying to make a joke or not.

As for being a LOT of effort, I don\'t think it is really THAT HARD to figure out most of the acronyms. As a matter of convenience I thought it would be handy to see a reference sheet;

SOV = Symphony of Voices
    WW = Wood Winds
    LOS = London Symphony Orchestra

etc, etc.

After all, books, cd roms and so on have just this sort of info. These forums are merely information in another format.

As someone who has built a few of these forums for a living I thought it to be not an unreasonable suggestion.

Peace, Scott.

I think this is a good idea for the newbies that come here. When I came here I didn\'t know what all of abbreviations meant (I knew a few already), but I made like I knew.

LOL Lee [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I agree a glossary for newcomers could help, but seeing the level of the people around here I understand why there´s no such a thing. I mean, It´s not like VSL creators need anybody to explain them what VSL is, and so on.

The rest of us, should better act as if we know everything to stay up par, and then the day we´re receiving the Oscar to best soundtrack say \"ok, thanks to the academy and all...but what the hell was VOTOX supposed to mean?\" [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (I know that one)

but what the hell was VOTOX supposed to mean?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">VOTOX is the software injection that relaxes the throat muscles of the sampled singers, so the sound is smoother! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dasher (a believer in better living through digital chemistry)

From what i gathered, the London Symphony Orchestra would be LSO... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

And by no means, I had to explain the abbrevation \"V.S.L.\" to the bestservice (they distribute it!) salesman once I wanted to get the demo cube. I think that is burnt in now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum