• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thomas Newman type cues? What about Carter Burwell?

Share/Bookmark

Thomas Newman type cues? What about Carter Burwell?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    No, \"I\" don\'t have one.... (yet) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just wondering if anyone here writes in a \"vaguely\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] similar stile?

BTW...I often wonder to myself if many composers don\'t get too caught up with making runs sound real and the whole real-ism aspect of mock-ups. I dunno, I just tend to gravitate more to amazing note configurations (what I like) vs fast runs and intricate counterpoint just for the sake of it being complex (sometimes that\'s what it sounds like to my ears... notes with no direction, no meaning or purpose). This may not be a popular view but I just wanted to express it. ****Not referring to anyone\'s work \"HERE\", just stuff I\'ve heard \"OUT THERE\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So I\'m just wondering if anyone has something that is more of a \"freezing the scene sound\"? If so please post a link... [Thomas Newman is my favorite composer, I think because he gives his pieces room to breath. Each note seems so meaningful]

Also, anyone like the music for \"Adaptation\"? Speaking of which anyone got any whacky pieces that are Carter Burwell-ish?

Those are my two favorite works of late.... \"Adaptation\" and \"Road to Perdition\"

Re: Thomas Newman type cues? What about Carter Burwell?

I don´t quite understand your post, I mean...who would try to write like someone else? I thought the whole point about music was creating something which is yours and original.

This being said, I also love those two composers. Thomas Newman has indeed quite a personal style.
    I also love Carter Burwell´s works, but I always think of him as Cohen´s bros. composer, because of how much I like their movies. The main theme for \"Miller´s crossing\"..oohhh..how good is that.

I\'m not suggesting anyone\'s \"trying\" to write like someone else, but I\'m sure there are people with similarities to Thomas Newman.

Whatever emotional connection to the music Thomas Newman creates for me.... That\'s what I\'m looking to hear. Same with Carter Burwell.

I guess I\'m asking if anyone hear has something different (not so JW), something closer to TN or CB...

Thanks Simon, I\'ll check it out! I hear you about JW....

Mattzen, yeah I agree with what you\'re saying, totally. I mean, I\'m there right now. Director says \"Do what you want, I\'m open to anything, be creative\". No, I know what I need to do, I need to get as close to the temp as possible without doing a straight rip off. I think I can fool them by just starting out in the same key as the temp (psychology at work! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Kid-surf, I was requested to make something as close to American Beauty as possible without actually copying it a couple of years ago, for a short film. The result is here:

http://www.simonravn.com/media/A_Life.mp3

I too like Thomas Newman\'s style, and would like to have a project to compose in that style for - it works great in movies, but is IMHO less interesting to listen to outside the movie than e.g. JW.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Simon...no offence but don\'t you think you were a tad too close in the first part of the cue? hehehe.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Still a great cue..
    On the other hand I know it\'s really hard when clients \"know exactly what they want\". (personaly, right now having a hard time with a project temped with best of Morricone\'s spageti western work [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Just thinking outloud as ussual..

Alex

Hehe.. Nope actually I don\'t think I was a tad too close. Not anything I could ever get in trouble with in court that\'s for sure. No identical melodies at all. When I wrote it I hadnt heard the cue from American Beauty more than once btw, so it\'s not like I sat down with American Beauty as a sync track and copied.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Hehe.. Nope actually I don\'t think I was a tad too close. Not anything I could ever get in trouble with in court that\'s for sure. No identical melodies at all. When I wrote it I hadnt heard the cue from American Beauty more than once btw.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I know...I didn\'t say you were stealing..hehe

Oh and I\'m not sure but I think Damon had a very
    nice cue a while ago that was resembling Newmans style...not piano Newman, but exotic perc. Newman thing...
    I think it was Damon..

Alex

Here another Newman fan... Great piece, Simon! And even after I listened the OST now literally more than a hundred times, I can\'t find similarities in melody, but I listened to yours only once yet... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Afaik Damon did several Newman mockups...

Hansi

Kid-surf, I was requested to make something as close to American Beauty as possible without actually copying it a couple of years ago, for a short film. The result is here:

http://www.simonravn.com/media/A_Life.mp3

I too like Thomas Newman\'s style, and would like to have a project to compose in that style for - it works great in movies, but is IMHO less interesting to listen to outside the movie than e.g. JW.

Of course the upltimate goal is to be original, but it\'s an unusual project if the producer/director really wants something original. They may think they want something original, but they end up pushing you back to something they\'ve already heard. Sometimes they have a case of temp-love where they find they will not be happy with anything other than something that sounds like the temp track without being the temp track. It\'s because of this I try not to blame the composer when I hear something derivative. If you leave the folks in charge unhappy, you can easily get fired or simply not work for those folks again. If you keep the people you work for happy, you will stay busy. The more you stay busy, the more the gigs that let you truly be original will come in.

I love Newman and Burwell\'s stuff. Newman\'s music works so well under so many types of scenes. Because of this, it is some of the most temped music I\'ve heard. To that end, it also seems to be the most emulated. I also love Newman\'s TV main titles. He\'s able to create very interesting sounds while still sounding organic. He seems to do it with more traditional devices such as harmony and unusual instruments and unusual combinations rather than reach of technology and plug-ins and the like. I think that\'s quite respectable in this day and age.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast