• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sticking my head out

Share/Bookmark

Sticking my head out

I rarely present things not yet finished. Then I got to thinking, "Why not?"

Here is a short experimental piece (operetta in nature) - it is neither complete nor even edited - just raw out-of-the-box use of Garritan instruments and EW Symphonic Choirs. Looking, I think, for something new and interesting; something not tried before.

Death of Michael
    Script

(A dark, windy night on a rocky point over-looking the sea.Michael sitting alone holding a small box.)
    Michael Who is there?
    Juda: Silence
    Michael: Who are you?
    (Boys approach Michael)
    Boys: What have you done?
    Michael: Nothing.
    (Michael looks for away out)
    Boys: You can not run!
    Michael: Leave me alone.
    (A short chase. Michael is killed)

https://app.box.com/s/oxx2eva2ix5hpf3rznrze53bhdhhq7wn

Re: Sticking my head out

Tom,

Very effective! You create a quite haunting atmosphere, and the use of the voices works well. My only quibble is that the reverb is so different between the voices and the instrumental passage - the chase could be more resonant; as it is, the instruments sound quite small, as opposed to the voices which sound epic and ominous. But this is a rendering issue, not a compositional one. As a piece of music, highly effective. Creepy in the best way possible!

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Tom,

Very effective! You create a quite haunting atmosphere, and the use of the voices works well. My only quibble is that the reverb is so different between the voices and the instrumental passage - the chase could be more resonant; as it is, the instruments sound quite small, as opposed to the voices which sound epic and ominous. But this is a rendering issue, not a compositional one. As a piece of music, highly effective. Creepy in the best way possible!

Ron
    Ron
    Your observation is spot on. For some reason two unusual things happened while working on the score. First, even though it worked fine for several days, the trombones, celli, and basses stopped resetting their volume after each play through. Secondly, the convolution effects used for the instruments throughout stopped responding. It has to be some key that I unknowingly hit. I am working on re-entering the score and so far everything seems to be working fine. For the life of me I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Incidentally, I scored it for Wind Machine, Basses Sus+Short AG, Basses Tremolo, Cellos Sus+Short AG, Flute Solo nonVib, Basic Orchestral Percussion, Gong, Trombone Group 1 KSm, Trombone Overlay AG, sourced from GPO, IO and COMB.

Tom

Hi Tom,

A fantastic composition. I like the textual/musical part a lot. Splendid spacial effects! But I have to agree with Ron. The difference in ambience between choir (voices) and orchestra is ways too big. It must be possible to bring these two closer to each other retain the contrast (text/instruments).
    It's certainly fit for further elaboration. A new full composition of yours? I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Max

Smile Re: Sticking my head out

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Tom,

A fantastic composition. I like the textual/musical part a lot. Splendid spacial effects! But I have to agree with Ron. The difference in ambience between choir (voices) and orchestra is ways too big. It must be possible to bring these two closer to each other retain the contrast (text/instruments).
    It's certainly fit for further elaboration. A new full composition of yours? I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Max
    Max,

Thank you for giving a listen. I honestly do not know what direction the piece may take. It hasn't told me yet.

For the week-end I will be doing some video work and photo restorations for a local funeral home. Then I'll jump back on the music wagon.

Tom

Go Back to forum