• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Time of Lilacs

Share/Bookmark

The Time of Lilacs

Hello!

It is so weird to come here in such a short time-span, but when anything new emerges, you gotta share
    This is actually a choral work that was commissioned from me, in Estonian language (by an Estonian romantic poet Marie Under) and the translation of the text is something like this:

The Time of Lilacs

Thus the flakes of the hackberry have bid farewell
    and it is the time when lilacs bloom:
    all the buds are bursting in full,
    and the bushes, all in blue, behind the house.

During the nights I don't sleep anymore -
    my heart is burning inside like a glowing hearth -
    ah, it is the time when lilacs bloom!
    How could I be indifferent and pious!

But you are not here, why, why then
    was this day created, so full of blue blooms?
    Why then is the night so unstintingly lit,

fragrant, all around my bed?
    It is so difficult to bear all the beauty -
    but you are not here to receive it. (/so I could give it to you)

LINK: https://app.box.com/s/ya42ll8rf5fav8pa0zn7b5xj6l5iaoid

Happy listening!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: The Time of Lilacs

It is so beautiful, I had a case of eye-watering. Your style, the simplicity (appearent) and the underlying complexity is just magnificent. You should spend more time on this, to lift out some truly great moments you created

Ted

Hi Brindle,

I can't but agree fully with Ted. It's a thing of pure beauty and it deserves further elaboration.

The poem is a sonnet, so it would be interesting to have a contrast (in theme or harmony or rhythm or in all of them) between the quatrains and the terzines. The music itself is very interesting, with a lot of friction in a harmonic environment.

Well done!

Max

Max,

Wonderful material and musical treatment. I have to ask; assuming it is in 4/4 time, the chord on the 3rd beat of the 6th measure - what chord did you use there?

Tom

Thank you, everyone! I'm so happy you like it.

I made a YouTube video with the score visible, too. Check it out, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrZM...ature=youtu.be

Tom_Davis: I'm not sure which chord you mean, but now you can go and see from the video
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle View Post
    Thank you, everyone! I'm so happy you like it.

I made a YouTube video with the score visible, too. Check it out, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrZM...ature=youtu.be

Tom_Davis: I'm not sure which chord you mean, but now you can go and see from the video
    Ah - thank you - it was the Bb-F-A-D chord on the 3rd beat of the 3rd full measure that threw me completely. I just couldn't get my tonal head around that one. Yet it is a perfect preparation to the D major chord soon to follow. Several very nice key changes through-out.

Tom

What a lovely and beautiful work! Thank you for sharing the work - and the score, as well; it was nice to "watch" as well as hear.

When this gets performed, please post a recording. We would love to hear this with voices.

Thanks again - such a sensitive and well crafted setting.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum