• Register
  • Help

Topic: READ THIS if you're not currently doing nightly backups

READ THIS if you\'re not currently doing nightly backups

sponsored links

I just lost about 3 minutes of music. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] If there were a crying emoticon, I\'d be using it right about now. The sad part is, I DO back up, I just have not re-enabled my nightly backup process since I reformatted a few weeks ago. I had a disk error, ran chkdsk /f, and it said \"Deleting index in file SONAR\" or something like that. I was thinking to myself, \"That had better NOT be my work folder.\" It was. I ran a recovery utility... to no avail.

This stuff happens, so don\'t think you\'re immune to it! My backup software of choice is Dantz Retrospect Backup (www.dantz.com). It\'s loaded with features and is really reliable, and affordable as well (around $80). So if you\'re not doing nightly backups... do so. And I do recommend Retrospect over the default Windows backup app for several reasons (if you want to know more, drop me a line).

Take care

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Dantz and have nothing to gain by recommending their software.

Re: READ THIS if you\'re not currently doing nightly backups

OK, maybe this thread should be a little Windows XP tip instead!

I FOUND MY FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I knew that chkdsk makes these .chk files of recovered stuff, but I couldn\'t find them. Even if I turned on \"Show hidden files\", I didn\'t see them (they\'re supposed to be in the root of the drive). Well... I was doing a restore from Retrospect, and I saw these found.000 and found.001 directories that I couldn\'t see in Windows explorer for some reason. I went into found.001, and VOILA! My SONAR directory was there, all safe and sound.

Now I can sleep well tonight...

Re: READ THIS if you\'re not currently doing nightly backups

there is another option saying: hide system-files - uncheck that (you will receive a warning)
    hth, christian

Go Back to forum