• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do people here back up their music?

Share/Bookmark

How do people here back up their music?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    How are you guys doing your backups? My current (albeit temporary) solution is to use a big harddrive which I connect to the LAN of my computers once a while. Leech out the stuff I need to \"backup\" and then put it back in the firesafe.

How about you? I guess the days of backup tape (streamers or whatever they were called) are numbered. Or are they really?

I need a fast, efficient and reliable method of backing up my music and projects, and I\'d love to hear from you guys, how you do it.

Thomas

Re: How do people here back up their music?

Hi Thomas, I do a nightly back up onto CD. When burning the files onto CD I leave the session open (in the burning software). This means that I can keep adding files until the CD is full.

CD-R \'s are so cheap now that I find this the easist way to go. Also, I occasionally take a back-up CD (not often enough) to work or to my brother-in-laws just to have a copy off site, in case of fire, etc.

Don\'t back up onto zip or jazz drives as this is not a safe form of long term back-up. The files can be erased off a zip disk just by leaving it too close to a speaker.

Also, as I run a web-server, I occassionally archive things to my server via FTP. Another way of ensuring that files don\'t live in one location. I just don\'t feel as comfortable keeping things on a server though.

L.A. (where my server is based) has recently been experiencing a wide range of denial of service attacks. My server admin is changing port numbers and passwords on a daily basis lately.

Regards, Scott.

I\'m using the Superdrive DVD-R drive in my Mac. Takes just over an hour to back up and verify 4.2 Gb. Apple call it the Superdrive but it\'s basically a Pioneer DVD-R mechanism and I\'ve seen these sold as exterrnal Mac/PC Firewire drives by Lacie and others. Media is a lot cheaper than it was, Apple do a five pack for around €18.

I feel a lot happier backing up to optical media than tape but maybe that\'s because I\'ve seen one too many chewed up DAT tapes!

I use Retrospect to do automatic nightly backups of only stuff that was modified each day. The backups are made to a 2nd 10GB hard drive.

I\'m also doing the 2nd hard drive thing, but on a different computer. Bear in mind that when power supplies or other components fail they\'ll can take all attached hard drives with them. Those who are backing up to another computer over a network are doing the smart thing. If this is your livelihood then backing up important data offsite will avoid the possibility of data loss due to fire.

The thing about disaster recovery is you can spend a fortune protecting your data. The question is what is that worth. Archiving finished projects to CD or DVD is a good idea, but make sure they\'re locked up in the dark. I\'ve heard stories of CDs being damaged by sunlight. Kinda makes sense since a laser writes the data.

Steve

I just do simple brute-force mirroring. I have a second huge harddrive, and at the end of the day, I just copy any new files to it. To do this, I created a simple DOS batch file that runs xcopy with an argument to only copy new files. (I don\'t have the exact command right now, but can post it later when I\'m at my studio). Takes seconds to do, no tapes, dvds, or anything.

Then periodically, I copy all new files to another pc nearby as well. Big harddrives are so cheap, it seems easiest to just have a few of those with multiple copies of all data.

Of course, if all three harddrives fail at once, I\'m screwed

With 50gigs of audio data floating around, I just doesn\'t seem very easy to back that up on tape or dvds. That\'s like 10 dvds right there...ugh.

Maybe I\'m crazy, but this has served me well for years.

Maybe a good plan would be to do nightly backups to a 2nd hard drive, and then once a month or so, back up to CD-R or DVD-R, and put those in a safety deposit box. I\'m not sure how deposit boxes work though.. how do the fees work?

I\'m backing up a ton of stuff as I type to DVD.

Its a multi format drive so I can do RW, or write once.

The only problem I have with this is I\'m not sure of the shelf life of the discs. I think for the most part it should be fine tho.

I\'m slowly backing up all my gigs and edits as well. Trying to set up one or two every night when I go to sleep or when I wake up, or just general down time.

After each recording or editing session, I back up data (through the LAN) to another computer in the studio. This protects against Hard Disk failure, but not against fire or theft, which would likely take out both machines.

So, periodically I also backup the data to CDR, and store the copies off site (either at the school or church where I also work).

Also, when I\'m working with an engineer, he usually has CDR copies, as well as the current stuff on his machine.

Having the data on the second computer has been a godsend more than once, when I\'ve screwed up, or something has become corrupted.

I only back up data, that is \"creative\" material. Important documents are printed out, so there is a paper copy backup.

There is no point in backing up programs, or samples etc. because I already have those on CD, and they can be easily replaced. My creative stuff - much of it improvised - cannot be easily replaced, or cannot be replaced at all.

Lawrence

Originally posted by JamesGrote:
    I just do simple brute-force mirroring. I have a second huge harddrive, and at the end of the day, I just copy any new files to it. To do this, I created a simple DOS batch file that runs xcopy with an argument to only copy new files. (I don\'t have the exact command right now, but can post it later when I\'m at my studio). Takes seconds to do, no tapes, dvds, or anything.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t you lose your long filenames using DOS based XCOPY?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast