• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Notation Of Horns

Share/Bookmark

Notation Of Horns

I am making great progress notating my first score in Notion (not my first score, just first in Notion). I have a question re: notating horns. What is best practice these days, 2 or 4 separate staves? If two, do you put Horns 1-3 on the treble clef, and 2-4 on the bass clef?

Thanks, Michael

Re: Notation Of Horns

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    I am making great progress notating my first score in Notion (not my first score, just first in Notion). I have a question re: notating horns. What is best practice these days, 2 or 4 separate staves? If two, do you put Horns 1-3 on the treble clef, and 2-4 on the bass clef?

Thanks, Michael
    It depends, of course on the number of horns, but if you are using 4, you are correct as to horns 1 and 3 being on one staff and 2 and 4 being on the other. While it is possible, I have never personally seen a separate score for each horn.

Tom

Thank You, Tom. I've currently got each horn on its own staff, because delineating all four horns (1-2-3-4) is difficult in Notion. But that wastes a lot of space, which becomes a concern when printing. If I just have the traditional two staves, one treble, one bass, then is it correct that the first will be assumed to be for 1-3, and the second 2-4? Or is some kind of notation needed, like little Roman numerals outside the staff? Which I don't believe is possible in Notion.

Thank You, Tom. I've currently got each horn on its own staff, because delineating all four horns (1-2-3-4) is difficult in Notion. But that wastes a lot of space, which becomes a concern when printing. If I just have the traditional two staves, one treble, one bass, then is it correct that the first will be assumed to be for 1-3, and the second 2-4? Or is some kind of notation needed, like little Roman numerals outside the staff? Which I don't believe is possible in Notion.
    If writing for orchestra the 1-3-2-4 arrangement is implied. The main reason for the 1-3-2-4 pattern is to keep the parts separated on the staff. Horns are often in close harmony which could be quite confusing if not separated. I recently saw a concert band arrangement in which the two stave arrangement was indeed 1-2-3-4. In that specific case, however, the harmony was very open - simply a series of Beethoven 5ths in progressive keys. The staff clefs vary according to the range in which the horns are being played at any given moment, so it's not always one in treble and one in bass.

You are on the right track, Michael. Best of luck. I'm anxious to hear what you have done with my favorite brass instrument.

Tom

little Roman numerals outside the staff? Which I don't believe is possible in Notion.
    Hi Michael.
    You can "number" staves in Notion by including numerals in the name of the instrument
    (eg. French Horn I, French II and so on).
    I will give you directions in a later post, while I'm brushing up how to do it.
    Hope it helps, until then.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hi Michael.
    Here's how two horns can share the same staff in Notion.

• In Score Setup view, add a staff for each Horn and set Part Name to include numerals (also for abbreviated ones).

• This will result in a mixer channel for each horn, giving you more control on tone, pan etc. if playback is involved.

• While in Score Setup view, add a blank staff (Special Staffs > Basic Staff) then…

• In Score view, go to Change Instrument (Shift+I), check Show All instruments, choose Staff voice 1 and double click on Horn 1. The mouse cursor is now labeled as Horn 1, go to measure 1 and click above the staff. See that a Horn 1 label is now added to part name too.

• Repeat for Horn 3 choosing Staff voice 2 for it and label the staff clicking under it.

• Hide labels above and under the staff (right click > Attachments > Hide).

• Hide unnecessary staves unchecking them in Score Setup.

• Enter notes for Horn 1 as voice 1 and Horn 3 as voice 2 (setting Horn 3 to play on voice 3 is more elegant —less confusing).

Hope it helps
    Fabio

Thank you Fabio for those great tips on horns in Notion! I shall try them out today and let you know how it went. Right now I'm working on condensing the four parts, from four staves to two. It can be tricky doing that!

Thank you Fabio for those great tips on horns in Notion! I shall try them out today and let you know how it went. Right now I'm working on condensing the four parts, from four staves to two. It can be tricky doing that!
    You're right. Merging staves (or "expand") to a target one is not allowed in Notion. Sadly.
    Oh, the above trick works also with woodwinds and for everything you need to score for more than one player at the time —at least for printing purposes.
    Enjoy.
    Fabio

I finally had the time to try this, Fabio. I had some computer issues that occupied me for a few days. Ingenious work around, really. I also discovered that it's best to cut and paste in Notion, vs. copy and past. Making good progress now. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

I finally had the time to try this, Fabio. I had some computer issues that occupied me for a few days. Ingenious work around, really. I also discovered that it's best to cut and paste in Notion, vs. copy and past. Making good progress now. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
    You're welcome.
    Can't wait to hear the horns, now!
    Fabio

Go Back to forum