• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mobile USB with mic preamps..

Share/Bookmark

Mobile USB with mic preamps..

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi all.....

Anybody tried out the new m-audio mobile pre USB unit?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/mobilepre.php

It is redicilously cheap and the features are great...so I have to ask myself how bad the sound must be..LOL!

Seriously..if anybody heard it please share the wisdom...

Thanks,

Alex

Re: Mobile USB with mic preamps..

Haven\'t tried it but soon the Firewire 410 by m-audio will be out. It has two mic pres (4 inputs altogether), 10 outs, two headphone outs, SPDIF and midi in/out... here\'s the preview link

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/MAudio/PR/FireWire-410.html

Seems Firewire might be the better way to go than USB. Same company, so prolly same preamps and support and driver dependability.

Thanks Marty,

That one looks much more serious...but it\'s not mobile, it needs AC power...

MobilePre is USB powered.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Ahhh! Thanks, lex for saying that. I hadn\'t thought of the power issue. Hmmm.

Has anyone been able to record two parts simultaneously with USB soundcards? That\'s what I\'m afraid it can\'t do. Even just two mic set-up without hassle would suffice.

Originally posted by Marty:
    Ahhh! Thanks, lex for saying that. I hadn\'t thought of the power issue. Hmmm.

Has anyone been able to record two parts simultaneously with USB soundcards? That\'s what I\'m afraid it can\'t do. Even just two mic set-up without hassle would suffice.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well thats what I\'m searching for too..
    I\'m pretty sure that it\'s posible to do.
    I\'ll check more, but I\'m pretty sure that M-Box + Pro Tools + PowerBook can pull of at least 2 tracks at a time...

I know the M-Box is good, but This Mobile Pre is so darn cheap.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Originally posted by Arnie Schachere:
    There\'s actually a pretty cool new piece coming out shortly from Tascam called the US-122. They worked with Frontier Designs on it, and we\'re quite impressed with it.

It has 2 XLR mic preamps with phantom power, includes GSIF and Core OS X drivers, and also is totally powered by USB. It also has one MIDI in and out on it. We haven\'t gotten one here at the office yet, but it looks like it is very well built. I\'m hearing that the street price on it is going be around $199, so it looks like it has a lot of bang for the buck. Although we don\'t have it listed yet at MTLC, you can read about it on the Tascam site:
    http://www.tascam.com/products/computer_recording/us122/index.php

Hope this info helps!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It helps a lot, thanks...and 200$?? cheap...

Any idea when it will be available?

Alex

Originally posted by ngstime:
    hmmmm.... 16 bit, no digital I/O.... cheaper yet is a trip down to Radio Shack to get 1/8 adapters and use sound manager.

I like the Apogee Mini-Me
    http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/prod_minime.html
    it may not be usb powered, but at least it can run on batteries

Aaron Dirk
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As far as I know thats top of the line, and it costs around 1300$..so I don\'t see how it is relevant..
    And it runs with special battery packs not batteries, which are about 150$ or more, and they are one more thing to carrie around..

Alex

I checked in with Dave from Tascam, and he confirmed that the US-122 is a 24 bit interface. That\'s not to take anything away from the Apogee. I\'m sure the Apogee sounds great.

In terms of availability, Tascam says that it should start shipping approx the third week or April. We have a \"Notify Me\" function in our US-122 listing at MTLC, so we are happy to keep anyone posted if this device is appropriate for them. If anyone needs to know more about the US-122, let me know as we\'re usually able to get information from Tascam pretty quickly.

Originally posted by lex:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by ngstime:
    hmmmm.... 16 bit, no digital I/O.... cheaper yet is a trip down to Radio Shack to get 1/8 adapters and use sound manager.

Aaron Dirk
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As far as I know thats top of the line, and it costs around 1300$..so I don\'t see how it is relevant..
    And it runs with special battery packs not batteries, which are about 150$ or more, and they are one more thing to carrie around..

Alex
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought you were talking on the quality/portable side.... to me, the mobile m-audio doesn\'t really offer much more than sound manager, it\'s not even 24 bit.

hehe... I didn\'t mean to sound like I was refering to duracells. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    You have a case for your laptop, don\'t you? there\'s gotta be room for battery pack in there.
    Plus, it would leave more juice for your laptop which will be draining fast alone.

oh well.... I\'m sure these others will work well for ya [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Aaron Dirk

Aaron Dirk

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast