• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone know if this hard drive will work with Giga?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone know if this hard drive will work with Giga?

I just saw a Western Digital 80 GB 7200 rpm Ultra/ATA 100 (OEM) hard drive for 227 bucks and was wondering if this hard drive works with Giga? I will be using it to save my Gig samples and audio.
    My other 8 GB hard drive that I use for programs and apps might be a 5400 rpm speed. Will this cause any conflicts with the faster drive with Giga?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Does anyone know if this hard drive will work with Giga?

Of course it will work with Giga, assuming that the disk works on your system at all. The RPM only has anything to do with each HD and how fast it runs, it has nothing to do with the actual IDE interface. But you should put the new HD as master on its own IDE channel if you can.

You should also check the noise level specs of the drive (or better real-life measurements in some mag or web-page) since some HDs tend to be much noisier than others (but I do not suggest this one is noisy, I do not know it!). Provided you do not have your computer in another room.

Ondrej

Well I will never buy another WD HD... first one I had worked for about 6 months.. 2nd one is still working but sometimes makes weird \'head parking\' noises... it was really bad on my older computer, it hasn\'t been so bad since I upgraded my system. But for the time being, I go for IBM and maybe the new Seagates.

Thanks for the advice guys. Simon, I think I\'ll stay away from the WD drive. It sounds like it might be problematic.

Go Back to forum