• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Video Capture/Playback solution

Share/Bookmark

Video Capture/Playback solution

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi!

Can anyone tell me the difference in using a PCI capture card like the MiroMotion DC30plus and a firewire solution like the Canopus ADVC-100? Pro/cons in either solution?

I am a Mac user with Logic 6 and ProTools 5.2.1 LE

Thanks!

Re: Video Capture/Playback solution

Hi Malo, personally I\'d go with the ADVC-100. It\'ll connect Firewire and this box will also let you output digital picture straight to a TV.

I\'ve heard some bad reports about the DC30 from other composers. I\'m not sure on the DC30\'s specs, but the ADVC100 will let you do everything. Capture AV/DV and output to AV or DV. I\'m not sure if the DC30 has all of these options.

Also, cause the ADVC100 is an external box, you dont need to install any drivers like you would with the DC30. You also wont have any potential conflicts or crashes that can occur with a internal PCI card.

I have one and havent had any problems at all.

Cheers, Scott.

P.S. I think Pro Tools has a preview to firewire option? Not sure about LE. Anyway, you can output a display to firewire that then runs through the ADVC-100 straight to a TV. In fact Hans Zimmer has an ADVC100 and is doing this.

Hi, Scott!

Thank you for your advice. I went out and bought myself an ADVC100 today after reading your post. As a test, I recorded 2-3 minutes from \"Sleepless in Seattle\" into iMovie2. I am now exporting the clip to a Quicktime movie. This sure takes an awful lot of time. I\'m sure this is bound to take a couple of hours. Is this normal? If so; a 50 minute TV show would take a whole day (if not more) to digitize and convert.

Could you give me any advice on the various video/compression settings (frame size, bit rate?), that you are using when you export to quicktime?

Hi Malo, I\'m afraid I\'m not the best person to ask this! I am just getting back into the digital video side of things and am a little rusty. A couple of small things; capture uncompressed first. You may want to experiment with different codecs for your setup but from memory I think the Sorrenson codec is one of the best. Also, if you are doing a job for a production company, check what frame rate they are using and make sure to capture at the same.

THere are some here who could probably offer good advice or jump over to; http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=24 - It\'s a forum specifically for Vegas users but has lots of knowledgable folks who usually answer your questions quick smart. You can even search on your particular question as people have certainly asked it before over there.

capturing and rednering can certainly be time consuming, again it\'s probably worth checking over at Creative Cow for some tips and tricks.

Hope this helps,

Scott.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Malo:
    Hi, Scott!

Thank you for your advice. I went out and bought myself an ADVC100 today after reading your post. As a test, I recorded 2-3 minutes from \"Sleepless in Seattle\" into iMovie2. I am now exporting the clip to a Quicktime movie. This sure takes an awful lot of time. I\'m sure this is bound to take a couple of hours. Is this normal? If so; a 50 minute TV show would take a whole day (if not more) to digitize and convert.

Could you give me any advice on the various video/compression settings (frame size, bit rate?), that you are using when you export to quicktime?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Rendering takes forever. The best way to work is to do your editing by day, and render at night while you sleep. Sonic Foundry\'s Vegas is actually great for this, because you can multi-instance even across a network, and have different machines rendering while you\'re editing (or open 5-10 instances, and render all of your projects overnight, simultaneously).

Vegas is about the slickest video editing app on the planet right now. I hope they eventually achieve the market penetration with it that they deserve.

Amen to that, Bruce. I keep asking the Mac Final Cut Express users why their simliraily priced software can\'t show transitions in real time like Vegas (or even like Video Factory the $70 little brother progie of Vegas Video). I don\'t know what Sonic Foundries\' secret is for that real time viewing of effects/transitions but it\'s got to spread to Apple\'s products.

Sonic Foundry is truly a gem among companies.

double post

This looks like a cool solution for having a video sync running. So I was wondering, will all sequencers be able to use this and send the output to the Firewire solution? Also, do you then need to have a smaller window running on your screen in the sequencer at the same time, for the firewire-solution to work? And does the box automatically scales the output to full screen?

This looks like a cool solution for having a video sync running. So I was wondering, will all sequencers be able to use this and send the output to the Firewire solution? Also, do you then need to have a smaller window running on your screen in the sequencer at the same time, for the firewire-solution to work? And does the box automatically scales the output to full screen?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Simon, I dont know of any sequencers that are currently outputting to Firewire (there could be, I\'m just not aware of them). I did hear that Steinberg dont have any immediate plans to do so.

What I am doing is syncing up Vegas to Cubase SX on the same machine via MTC. I am using MOL+ to create a named pipe. In other words, my sequencer isnt running a video of any sort - Vegas is slaved to Cubase.

At the start of a project I have Cubase running midi, VST\'s and triggering Giga. It is also sending MTC to Vegas and thus triggering the video playback. When I am happy with the piece, I render all of the files over to Vegas for audio mixdown and mastering. At this point of course all of my video and audio is in the same application and sync is no longer needed. Certainly the playback in Vegas via Firewire is full screen.

Being MTC, the playback isn\'t as fluid as SMPTE but so far I havent had any problems with it. I just have to wait a couple of bars for the video playback to kick in.

Cheers, Scott.

OK thanks Scott. I don\'t know if that solution sounds particularly sexy to me, but I\'ll consider it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast