• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any "classical" composers making a living online?

Any "classical" composers making a living online?

sponsored links

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows of a composer in a \"classical\" style who is actually making a living on their music. By \"classical\" I mean instrumental music not intended for any film or game. Nevermind New Age. I know that\'s a popular genre but I\'m not at all interested in it. I\'m looking for music along the lines of Beethoven or Rachmaninov. Piano concertos, sonatas, symphonies, tone poems, etc.
    I\'m only asking this becuase idealy this is what I want to do, and I haven\'t really found anyone doing it that I actually like. I\'m talking about primarily TONAL, THEMATIC music.
    It\'s not that I don\'t like film music. I do like John Williams. But I happen to like abolute music more.

Any suggestions? Resources?

Anthony Lombardi

Re: Any "classical" composers making a living online?

I don\'t know of anyone making a living from online music. I would think classical, whether thematic and tonal, or not would be a long shot. The closest I can think of is Amy Scurria (www.amyscurria.com). She says she\'s earning a living as a composer. She has had some pretty good commissions and that\'s the source of real income.

I\'m curious what you had in mind. I would think that live performance will be the route to reknown for the time being. Good luck.

Steve Chandler

Thanks for the link Steve.
    What I\'ve been working on lately is a concerto for piano and orchestra (3 movements, 40min), a piano sonata, and a solo piano piece. The style I suppose is closest to Romanticism. My music is highly melodic. The piano sonata is pretty classical as far as form goes --1st movement sonata form, second ternary, third rondo.
    Of course it would be nice to get my stuff performed live, but I really have no idea how to go about that. I do subscribe to the American Composers Forum newsletter, which has competitions you can enter. Is that how you become known? By winning competitions?

Anthony Lombardi

If you love \"classical\" you don\'t do it for the money. If you love money you do it for the \"pop\". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] LOL..

Seriously though, you\'re in the wrong genre if you\'re looking to make money. Now concert performances, that\'s another topic all together. I could see classical piano live being much more financially attractive. You could probably go down to the nearest Starbucks, set up a piano in their store and rake in the tips. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Anthony,

Getting pieces played is generally a b!^ch. However, it would really help to get to know someone who teaches theory. I may have an advantage in two ways. Iowa has a composers forum (www.iowacomposers.org) which I\'ve joined and they were kind enough to play two short pieces last Fall. I also sell to educational institutions so I\'m on campuses all the time. Some composers are very reticent while others are downright friendly. I can tell you that they are generally easy to find, every major campus has a web site and every department has a page and links to faculty. Call them up and if they answer be ready to talk, or send an email (but email is easier to ignore).

The other potential place to get performances is a church. Get to know the music director at your church or that of friends and relatives. Play pieces for them that might be appropriate.

The lesson in all this is network, network, network. Be friendly, get to know people and don\'t hesitate to ask for an opinion on your work(s). You make your own luck.

Steve Chandler

Go Back to forum