• Register
  • Help

Topic: De Gedachten ("Thoughts")

Share/Bookmark

De Gedachten ("Thoughts")

As promised, here's an own version of the "Thoughts". This piece is one of the 430 little dances and airs from a hand written booklet found in a bass pipe of the organ in the church of Viane (Flanders). Very likely the organ player (Petrus Josephus Van Belle) did other things than paying attention during the annoying long sermons of the parish priest in 1790. He compiled a huge number of popular tunes, some well known extracts of operas and 4 complete pieces for harpsichord. Probably he was caught red handed and threw his annotations quickly in the biggest bass pipe... where it remained until 1996... It was discovered during a restauration of the (17th century) organ.

The booklet only shows the melody line (no bass, no basso continuo). So I had to arrange it in the spirit of the late 18th century (in between baroque and classicism).

The ensemble consists of strings, 1 oboe, 2 recorders (soprano and alto).

De Gedachten

Enjoy the listen!
    Max

Re: De Gedachten ("Thoughts")

Max, the recorders are superb!
    You have done an excellent job.
    And gave life to those little musical gems again.
    Long life to boring sermons!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Indeed, wonderful music, Max and Mr. Belle. (I'm sure his spirit can rest more comfortably now). By the way, an interesting strategy to preserve one's music for posterity, and improve its chances of performance. (By the way, if you read about someone being arrested while trying to stuff some manuscripts into the Mighty Kotchmar Organ in Portland, Maine, have no concern, my wife will bail me out. At least I think she will).

Max, what a delight! To pick up a single line of melody and produce this wonderfull jewel, you are just fantastic.
    Especially the recorders are just brilliant.
    Actually, I posted my Dreams, before I listened to your posting, and if I would have first listened, I wuld not have posted my poor piece, I would have been ashamed to do so. Well, it is done, but De Gedachten I'll treat myself a few times more...

Ted

Hi Fabio, Michael, Ted,

De Gedachten was conceived as an exercise with the VSL recorders and the orchestral depth against these 'weak' instruments. I've only used Studio One Pro, no notation programme (although that is not my usual way of working). But I'm glad you like the piece. There are many more such tunes in that booklet, some with strange paraphrases and melismas (an invention of Van Belle?), mostly as one or two extra measures at the end of a theme. The origin of his pieces is in most cases obscure (own tunes?), some were borrowed from famous operas at his time (many of them are unknown so far).
    Thanks for listening.

HTML Code:
    Actually, I posted my Dreams, before I listened to your posting, and if I would have first listened, I wuld not have posted my poor piece, I would have been ashamed to do so. Well, it is done, but De Gedachten I'll treat myself a few times more..
    Ted, I really feel embarrassed now. I've just listened to your Dreams and it is an excellent composition. It is your own imagination and creativity which produced such a marvel. In my case, it only an arrangement of an existing melody, nothing more. It doesn't matter with which tools music has been made, the musical quality is the main issue. That counts, not the instrumental libraries.

Max

Thanks Max, I did listen some more, and had my daughter and wife listen too, they enjoyed it as well, including the story behind it. You are very kind...

Ted

How delightful! I just discovered this magnificent piece and I am glad that I did!

You did a fine job in rendering it, Mister Max. I really enjoyed several listens. Danke.

I am sorry about the lateness of my reply.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Hi Max,

that was a delightful listen, and a delightful story, really enjoyed both,

regards

Barrie

Thanks for the listen. I'm glad you enjoyed it. There's more to come, but it is a rather 'big' work and might take some more time. An interesting story as well! But all that is for later.

For now: A happy, musical and peaceful New Year to all of you!
    Max

Go Back to forum