• Register
  • Help

Topic: Benedictus By carl Jenkins, attn Tom Davis

Share/Bookmark

Benedictus By carl Jenkins, attn Tom Davis

I do not have the score, only I heard this piece from a 200 strong Welsh choir, and thought Tom you maybe interested to hear it. I combined three different choirs I have, and guessing the score.

https://app.box.com/s/m9qx21rn2aoywwfwpxn5lglrqvn5snob
    Ted

Re: Benedictus By carl Jenkins, attn Tom Davis

Hi ted,

This sounds overwhelming! Your guesswork is quite accurate (as far as I can hear and judge). The choirs (or one of them) sounds pretty calculated* to me (high pitches), not so natural. That doesn't alter any of your merits trying to capture the work of a great master.

* Many sampled libraries use a limited number of recorded sounds. The missing samples are calculated to the right pitch, but of course that is not the way nature deals with frequency differences (to be concrete here: the tension of the vocal chords releases different sounds depending on the pitch, together with the acoustic position of the sound in the oral/nasal cavities). A G3 doesn't sound like a G4 (the latter being a lot thinner and sharper). When calculated, all the qualities of the basic sound are transposed to the next one...)

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Max, thanks. I was too quick to post it, but I was overwhelmed by Jenkins and the choir, so I quickly done it from memory of the performance. I can also hear the bad highs and even some crackling. I will try to correct it and repost.
    Thanks again. I had to give up on EW Symphonic Choir and Orchestra, my machine just could not handle it.
    Ted

Ted, thank you for posting this.
    My previous and only knowledge of Karl Jenkins was as a member British rock-jazz group Soft Machine.
    If I'm right, WA Mozart also did something similar hearing a Mass by Palestrina and transcribing after having heard it.
    Great job.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Ted,

I had to chime in here as I have heard this performed live. It's a wonderful piece. Your attempt is well worth noting and well done. You should post the original sometime, especially with the beautiful cello solo. Thanks for posting this Ted. Makes me want to listen to entire work again.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Ted,

Thank you for sharing. This is a selection that everyone should hear at least once in their lives. I first heard the Welsh choir Cor Glanaethwy perform this work in April of this year.

Here is a wonderful story written by Sir Karl Jenkins that makes us realize how connected artists really are:

“Very late one night in 1997, across a dark and deserted St. Mark’s Square, Venice, I saw a painting, lit like a beacon, drawing me inexorably to the window of Galleria Ravagnan. It made a deep impression on me and as my wife and fellow musician, Carol, remarked, it looked like my music sounded. I simply had to have it so I returned the next day, bought the painting and began a long friendship with gallery owner Luciano Ravagnan. On a return visit, a year or so later, I met and befriended the artist only for us both to discover that he, not knowing who had bought his painting, had been painting to my music!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I do not have the score, only I heard this piece from a 200 strong Welsh choir, and thought Tom you maybe interested to hear it. I combined three different choirs I have, and guessing the score.

https://app.box.com/s/m9qx21rn2aoywwfwpxn5lglrqvn5snob
    Ted

Go Back to forum