• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Score In Notion

Share/Bookmark

First Score In Notion

I have finished the score for my piece, "Solstice." It's the first movement of my suite, Three Winter Scenes. You can check it out here:
    https://app.box.com/s/w46mcxt1wzmtrfthlrbw4138ytfalj9a

If you would like to hear the sound version, done in Sonar 8.5, you can find that here:
    https://app.box.com/s/qpqaevdzfc983donx7o962venfyc1j1u

Comments welcomed!

Michael
    Last edited by michael diemer; 10-10-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: new link

Re: First Score In Notion

I found your piece fascinatingly beautiful. My memories of winter are quite different from yours, the war,the freezing in wet uniform and wet boots were just not pleasant. I can hear the repeated discomfort of cold, hunger and plain misery of the season. It is interesting why I feel that you composed this with the same feelings I have for the winter, when you experienced the beauty of winter in you life I hope.
    No matter what, you made a beautiful piece.

Ted

Thanks, Ted. I'm sorry your memories of Winter are clouded by war. You are correct, along with the beauty I see in Winter, there is also much longing and unfulfilled dreams in this piece. It was first composed in the 1980's, after a poem I had written called "Winter Sunset." I had gone out to watch the sun set on a cold Winter day, and there was unexpected beauty, as a snow squall moved in, creating lots of motion and color. But then darkness and extreme cold quickly set in. I remember watching the racing clouds and wondering where they were going to. I was wondering the same thing about my life at the time. The piece is also about the solstice, however, as time inexorably ticks down to the moment where the sun pauses, before its turn back to the North. The mechanical feel to the beginning of the piece tries to capture this effect. Then, after the pause/Solstice, the imagery turns more to the theme of the poem: uncertainty, fading beauty, stillborn dreams...

Excellent work, Michael.
    The score also looks elegant.
    (why not to hide the Horn labels
    above and below staves?)
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks Fabio. I tried deleting the Horn names above/below the staff, but that also deleted them in the margin. Still learning about Notion. It's the only notation I have used, unless you count Sonar's, which is really just for working in, not actually printing out. I'll get to work now on the other two movements.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Thanks Fabio. I tried deleting the Horn names above/below the staff, but that also deleted them in the margin. Still learning about Notion. It's the only notation I have used, unless you count Sonar's, which is really just for working in, not actually printing out. I'll get to work now on the other two movements.
    You can easily have it by hiding, not deleting them. Here's how:
    1. Select the item(s);
    2. Right-click and choose Attachment > Hide from drop-down menu

or

2. Tools > Hide.

Hope this will help you to sort it out.
    In the meanwhile, I'll listen to your composition.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks again Fabio, I'll give it a try. About the sound version: It is not tied to the score as far as dynamics are concerned. In fact, you may feel there is not enough dynamic variation. I admit I am somewhat dynamics-challenged. Or perhaps that is just how I like my music to sound. But the sound version, while having all the same notes, is really just meant to be an approximation of the score.

A question: With Notion, you can of course move things around, like dynamic markings and so forth. Traditionally, dynamics have gone below the staff. Sometimes that causes Notion to think they are for the next instrument down, so it will then show that staff, even if it has nothing else on it. Other times, it may be necessary to move them above the staff, because there is other stuff going on, like slurs, or a numeral indicating which player is playing (I or II). So, am I correct in assuming in modern notation that it's OK to move markings around as needed, if it makes the score more readable?

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    I have finished the score for my piece, "Solstice." It's the first movement of my suite, Three Winter Scenes. You can check it out here:
    https://app.box.com/s/w46mcxt1wzmtrfthlrbw4138ytfalj9a

If you would like to hear the sound version, done in Sonar 8.5, you can find that here:
    https://app.box.com/s/7rvbm7iswfgdqh4zv1qj7gshf1wsiogn

Comments welcomed!

Michael
    Well, Michael, I looked at the Box score, and was quite impressed. I will listen later. I am interested in Notion, but they don't seem to offer a trial version. Two questions immediately come to mind. Can you export/import midi files? Will Garritan vst instruments work with it? I have a rather large two piano score, complex notation. If I upload it to box, will you look it over and comment the ability of Notion to handle it?

Richard

I just uploaded the score to box. The editing is incomplete - no dynamics, phrasing.

https://app.box.com/s/kinid32nbin5x6z14brhi6wpe4flwsq2

Hi Richard, thank you for looking at my score. While I am new to Notion, I think I can highly recommend it. you can indeed import midi, that's what I did, from sonar. (You can export too). I used the midi1 format, since my version of sonar does not have midi2 or music XML. It worked very well, even transmitting metronome markings! It took me less than a month to produce this score, and I was learning as I went. The help guide is extremely well-written, and the forum there very helpful. About the only problem I had is that, when you want to show only the instruments actually playing, you use a feature called "hide resting staves." But due to a glitch, you then lose the measure numbers. but I figured out a work around (not evident in the score as posted; I have to fix that). All in all, for 99.00, it is a very good deal. Very intuitive, easy to figure out. Probably the best 99.00 I have spent on music software. And yes, it works natively with Garritan. GPO is one of the choices you have for VSTI. Also EWSO Gold and Vienna. It may work with just about anything. However, the sound will not rival a DAW like Sonar. but it's great to be able to hear an actual bassoon when you want to proof-listen, so the sounds are helpful in that regard. (I just use the native sounds, since I'm not interested in Notion as a sound-version product, but a notation one. When I go to notate, I’ve already decided I have the sound I want. Also, I am so used to working in Sonar that I don't know how to get good sound in notation. In any case, my workflow is quite different than most. I first produce a good sound mockup, then export to notation. Most do it the other way around).

I just looked at your score. Notion should not have any problem with it. you should get a note for note transmission, triplets and rests included.

Thanks, Michael. Your comments are clear and helpful. I am considering a change from Sibelius, because it has so many features I will never use, and for most purposes, a simpler program would be just as good. I work the same as you, beginning with Sonar, and then transferring the Sonar file to a notation program, which for many years has been Sibelius.

Did you obtain the product by download? If so, tell me about download time. I use Exede sattelite, which downloads at 12 Mb per second. Not lightening speed but a big jump from dial up.

Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast