• Register
  • Help

Topic: Polyphonica Eclectica

Share/Bookmark

Polyphonica Eclectica

Two pianos, 4 hands

Polyphonica Eclectica

Length, 19 minutes. Form? A B C D B A. No further comment from me on form! Any pianists attempting to play this will attest to it's difficulty, although some of the difficulty is illusional, appearing from the interaction of the two instruments.The number of interactions is impossible to list. It must be listened to as 4 individual lines, and also as a whole, for starters. Every time I listen I discover new relationships, and I wrote it! I have left plenty of room for free expression by the performers.

Richard

Re: Polyphonica Eclectica

Bravo, Richard, bravo! Within moments I was back at college in masters and doctoral composition recitals. This has that unique quality of being rhythmically difficult and tonally invigorating - not unlike a fresh breeze on a sunny spring day.

I was not expecting such a detailed and exciting selection when I first heard it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Two pianos, 4 hands

Polyphonica Eclectica

Length, 19 minutes. Form? A B C D B A. No further comment from me on form! Any pianists attempting to play this will attest to it's difficulty, although some of the difficulty is illusional, appearing from the interaction of the two instruments.The number of interactions is impossible to list. It must be listened to as 4 individual lines, and also as a whole, for starters. Every time I listen I discover new relationships, and I wrote it! I have left plenty of room for free expression by the performers.

Richard

Thanks, Tom. I am pleased that you were brave enough to tackle such a long work, and with the advance knowledge that my work is not easy to follow or understand. Your words are encouraging, gave me a good boost. One thing I should add to my comments: it was planned as a solo piano work because the original organ draft did not work well. But it quickly became apparent that two pianos four hands was essential. 87 pages is one huge editing job.!!!

Richard

If I want anyone to listen to some of my longer works, I guess I better preciprocate. So here goes:

Reminds me of a musical portrayal of that M.C. Escher painting with all the lizards and dwarves running up and down the stairs. So many planes of motion, intersecting; creating impossible-seeming geometries. Really wonderful display of shifting harmonies, rythmic figures, and textures. endlessly inventive, as a long piece must be to hold our attention. And very well done. I think it would sound great in live performance, and I hope that happens, Richard. Make sure you let us hear it if it does! It's a fantastic piece.

Well, that was a wonderfully deviant piano piece Richard. I swear I heard Beethoven and Little Richard. It was quite a crazy ride but I had to keep listening because I didn't want to jump off at that speed.

An order of just one copy of the sheet music would be possible if one of the pianists was Savant.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    An order of just one copy of the sheet music would be possible if one of the pianists was Savant.

Phil
    Or Mozart, in which case he would just listen to Richard's sound file, go home and write it down and be playing it perfectly (both parts) by noon (after composing a new symphony after breakfast).

Hi Richard,

This is undoubtedly one of the best works I've ever heard from you. Demanding, difficult, yes, but very rewarding in the end. There are so many wonderful and very original passages in that continuum, in the endless flow.
    You created a challenging piece for skilled piano students. It could easily pass the test for competitions!

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Go Back to forum