• Register
  • Help

Topic: De Mondonville - Les Fêtes de Paphos, two final airs

Share/Bookmark

De Mondonville - Les Fêtes de Paphos, two final airs

Hi everybody,

From the opera "Les Fêtes de Paphos" by the 18th century French composer Jean-Joseph Cassanéa de Mondonville (younger contemporary of Jean-Philippe Rameau) the final two airs.
    De Mondonville was quite famous at his time, but he is now an almost forgotten composer.

Here are two Airs (Zéphir cherche Flore (Air sans lenteur), Les regrets de Zéphir (tres lentement) and Air très gay*)
    * this is NOT English...

The ensemble consists of 8 violins in 4 desks, 2 flutes, 2 violas, 2 cellos, 1 double bass, harpsichord.

Have a nice listen and comments are as always very welcome.

De Mondonville - Airs

Max

Re: De Mondonville - Les Fêtes de Paphos, two final airs

Max,

Clearly I missed De Mondonville in my music history classes. I will remedy that.

Delightful music that lifts the heart. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

By-the-way, I recall an 18th century French text in which it was written, "... the obsession with written dynamics is vulgar and unnecessary. To increase the volume at any given point simply increase the number of players." The French had an interesting approach. The same text indicated that, "... above all, each note must be sounded with absolute clarity and the tempo must be maintained throughout with little or no variance." Although that approach was mechanical rather than artistic, it sure did simplify performance interpretation.

Life was simpler then.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi everybody,

From the opera "Les Fêtes de Paphos" by the 18th century French composer Jean-Joseph Cassanéa de Mondonville (younger contemporary of Jean-Philippe Rameau) the final two airs.
    De Mondonville was quite famous at his time, but he is now an almost forgotten composer.

Here are two Airs (Zéphir cherche Flore (Air sans lenteur), Les regrets de Zéphir (tres lentement) and Air très gay*)
    * this is NOT English...

The ensemble consists of 8 violins in 4 desks, 2 flutes, 2 violas, 2 cellos, 1 double bass, harpsichord.

Have a nice listen and comments are as always very welcome.

De Mondonville - Airs

Max

Same here, brand new music, and delightful. I especially liked the second air. just fresh, uplifting, perfectly done by you.
    Thanks.

Ted

Fabulous music, indeed. I love French Baroque. Tom's comments interest me. I really dislike dynamics, and I actually do add and subtract instruments at times for variation. Also, I like my music to be played very precisely. So this music sounds absolutely wonderful to me, almost miraculous. It could be Rameau, it's that good. Thank you Max for giving it new life. And if this is a mockup, I am humbled at how good it is. I doubt I will ever achieve such pristine sound. It sounds like a real ensemble. Bravo!

A great realization of this obscure but golden music and pretty skillful use of those instrument articulations. It has a very good over all sound to it. If I may ask, besides nice sounding libraries are you also using separate sound enhancement or equalizer software?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    A great realization of this obscure but golden music and pretty skillful use of those instrument articulations. It has a very good over all sound to it. If I may ask, besides nice sounding libraries are you also using separate sound enhancement or equalizer software?

Phil
    Hi Phil,

I'm glad you liked the piece. Of course I use some EQ'ing (VSL convolution - spacial settings) and a master EQ to filter out unwanted harmonics, but not s much actually. EQ'ing can never improve a bad choice of articulations and neither can reverb... The main thing is to be very careful choosing the right patches for the right performance, together with a fitting note velocity and expression. (That is to be done in a DAW - Studio One Pro here.)

Kindly,
    Max

Dear Tom, Michael and Ted,

It's always a pleasure to have you in my auditorium. De Mondonville deserves better than historical oblivion. He was nearly as good as Rameau and displayed great creativity as to his violin and orchestral compositions (and operas). It's a pity that our musical historians are so selective in personal qualities when lecturing...

Anyway, thanks for listening and commenting.

Max

Go Back to forum