• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lament for the Carolina flooding

Share/Bookmark

Lament for the Carolina flooding

A client provided the lyrics; I did the rest (except sing, obviously!)

Piano is Garritan Steinway, strings are from Dimension Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDu...MnwhkH4DS2u16A

It's the first video you see.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Lament for the Carolina flooding

I just love your playing. I would cut back on the volume of the singer, who is very good. Let the beauty of the piano, your playing and the melody dominate.
    Just lovely.

Ted

Hi Owen,

A fantastic song. Ted is right however. A little cutback on the singer volume would make the balance perfect. (Maybe a little convolution reverb would sweeten the singer's line.

Another small remark concerns some pops around min. 2 (microphone without wind screen? Singer too close?)

We all want our music to be as good as the music is, don't we? This is good music and it deserves the best recording!

Congrats,
    Max

Thank you both for the suggestions. That is the main reason I post here, to find out ways I could improve. I actually used some convolution reverb - I am always scared of using too much; perhaps I have gone too far the other way.

I wonder if I tend to bring out the singer a little too much because I always struggle to hear the lyrics.

I'll ask her if she has a pop filter.

Thanks again, Ted and Max!

I enjoyed your song Owen.

I think this would be a good song for disaster relief fund raising besides it's value of a historical nature.

If this is a demo then you do want the vocals to be dominate, if not then I agree that it could use some tweaking besides the pops.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed your song Owen.
    I think this would be a good song for disaster relief fund raising besides it's value of a historical nature.
    If this is a demo then you do want the vocals to be dominate, if not then I agree that it could use some tweaking besides the pops. Phil
    Thanks, Phil. Glad you enjoyed it, and your comment about demos was interesting. I appreciate your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Thanks, Phil. Glad you enjoyed it, and your comment about demos was interesting. I appreciate your feedback.
    Owen,

Years ago I was going to a semi-pro songwriter's workshop in Seattle. There it was stressed that when producing a song for demo purposes the lyric vocals should always be louder in the mix than a finished product so that the designated listener for a project(the artist, producer, other) can clearly hear and understand the words. If not, the song has a much better chance of ending up in the trash on the first cut for an album or other project. You have about twenty seconds to initially sell the song.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Owen,

Years ago I was going to a semi-pro songwriter's workshop in Seattle. There it was stressed that when producing a song for demo purposes the lyric vocals should always be louder in the mix than a finished product so that the designated listener for a project(the artist, producer, other) can clearly hear and understand the words. If not, the song has a much better chance of ending up in the trash on the first cut for an album or other project. You have about twenty seconds to initially sell the song.

Phil
    That makes a lot of sense - if you have to contact the songwriter to figure out what the lyrics are, that's a lot of work!

Go Back to forum