• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need advice from an acoustic guitar expert

Share/Bookmark

Need advice from an acoustic guitar expert

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I\'ve got an acoustic guitar here and I was wondering what it\'s worth.. I know zilch about guitars, but it seems to be pretty rare, since they only made 1,976 of these. Here\'s the vital info:

Martin D-76
    Bicentennial Commemorative Limited Edition 1976
    #0355 out of 1976

Or if no one knows, is there somewhere I could take this to get it accurately appraised?

Thanks!

Re: Need advice from an acoustic guitar expert

Local music store might be able to appraise it. I don\'t mean a Guitar Center kind of place.

http://www.ajsmusic.com/

that place can give you a rough appraisal by email if you just tell them the condition of the guitar and all the make, model, serial info.

ask for Pete.

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    I\'ve got an acoustic guitar here and I was wondering what it\'s worth.. I know zilch about guitars, but it seems to be pretty rare, since they only made 1,976 of these. Here\'s the vital info:

Martin D-76
    Bicentennial Commemorative Limited Edition 1976
    #0355 out of 1976

Or if no one knows, is there somewhere I could take this to get it accurately appraised?

Thanks!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">from:

\"What is a Collector\'s Guitar\"

Many people have asked me whether the limited-edition models such as the Martin D-76 and the Gibson reissues of the Flying V and Firebird will become collector\'s items in the future. l don\'t think that any of the reissues are really as good as the originals, speaking generally, and they certainly aren\'t as valuable on today\'s market. The D-76, in fact, has been something of a flop, and the factory and dealers around the country still have some of them in stock. Many of these so-called limited editions are not so limited. Martin made 1,976 D-76s during the Bicentennial year, but their total production of all models of guitars back in 1935 was only 3,268. Many limited edition models, though they were only mode for a year, were produced in such large quantities that they\'re much less rare today than guitars such as the late-\'50s dot-inlay Gibson ES-335, which has simply been out of production for a number of years. I think the entire concept of limited editions in guitars is pretty illusory, since any time the specifications on a particular model are changed to any extent, that model becomes a \"limited edition\" for all intents and purposes.

Here\'s a page where you can download the bluebook value for it ( for $15.00 ): [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

http://store.bluebookinc.com/downloads/SalesPage.asp?Product=acousticguitar&Heading=417

Look up the number for Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, NY and give them a call. They are experts in these matters and will be able to give you a ballpark estimate on the phone. They can also refer you to a dealer in the Chicago area where you could take it for an accurate assessment.

And you might just try doing a search in Google, using the info you included here as criteria and adding +price. This will let you find out what others are it selling for, if there are others and they\'re selling them...

Thanks for the info, everyone, and thanks, Craig. I forget what kind of condition it\'s in since I haven\'t seen it in a while. I do remember one of the pegs was replaced with a white one.. so that looks kind of out of place.

Sam, don\'t listen to those guys. The guitar\'s only worth about a hundred bucks.

Please let me know where to send the check :-)

Go Back to forum