The March

Here's my The March.

Instruments and other samples.

LASS
    Violins, Violas, FC Violin, Cellos, Basses

Cinematic Strings
    Full Strings, Lite Full Strings

Cinesamples
    Trumpets, Trombones, Two Horns, Solo Horn, Tuba, Bass-Trombones, Low Brass Pads, Oboe, Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Piccolo

SampleTank 3
    Pure Sine Synth, Bagpipes, Chamberlin Flute

Sound Iron
    Womens Choir, Full Choir

Garritan-GPO
    Snares, Cymbals, Bass Drum, Timpani, Glockenspiel

Sample Tekk
    10CC INIL Choir (sampled tape loops from "I'm Not In Love")

Re: The March

I hope you'll forgive me. I was lstening from the start to about 2.10, and frankly, I did not like it too much. Then at 2.10, like the sky opened up, and I love the rest of your March very,very much.
    When you read my comment, you must remember my age and "romantic" soul, so qualify what I am saying.
    Just yesterday I listened to Mascagni Cavalleria Rusticana, the whole opera. Apart from the well known beautiful piece everybody knows and loves, the overture and then the return of that in the Easter Choir, I forced myself to watch to the end. I found it boring, obviously the composer was filling in the time. The contrast between the brilliance of the part I mentioned and the rest was astonishing.
    The point I am trying to make, is that probably for many opera lovers the whole opera is great. Not for me. Again, the second half of your March I replayed twice, and will do it again, because I think it is very good, and I am probably a hopeless fool.
    Thanks for posting it, I'll enjoy it once more right after I push the button to submit this

Ted

Ted,

Well, I'm glad you at least enjoyed the second part of my March. It's definitely a contrast from the first part. The first part certainly doesn't say much but it makes a big noise.

Phil

Hi Phil,

This is a strange march in many ways. A 'noisy' start (as you say) with an extended experiment of all kinds of instruments, voices and next to all that, a huge arsenal of different libraries. Very hard to combine all this to a decent mix. But you did.

Most of all, I like the choir voices. Very lovely and sonorous, not computer-like sounding.

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Max,

Yes, I probably did go off the reservation some what on this.

I never actually set out to create something musically respectful in the traditional sense so the result can be a little mixed but hopefully some what entertaining.

Most of all, I like the choir voices. Very lovely and sonorous, not computer-like sounding.
    That's the SoundIron Olympus Elements choir which is a small part of the massive Olympus Symphonic Choir.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Definitely original, Phil! I thought it was quite effective, having such different textures "march" by; one gets the sense of of being at a parade. Especially with the nice touch of the bagpipes. I agree that the choirs are also well done. All told, a very enjoyable experience, and as I said, quite original.

Thanks for commenting Michael.

Yes, the first comes from memories of performing in the high school marching band. The second part uses instruments of the woodwind quintet in which I played the horn in HS. And who can forget the Scottish bagpipe bands in the parades.

I was also attempting to convey youth, middle age and beyond as a march but we all hear different things in music.

I glad that you enjoyed it!

Phil

Go Back to forum