• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PC Doctor, HELP!

Share/Bookmark

PC Doctor, HELP!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I think I\'m in it deep. After updating REAKTOR, my computer crashed after making some mechanical noises ( my computer freezed and then something inside started clicking). I had to use the front button to restart.
    Restart, scanning commence, detecting drive A (floppy), there are some clicks, a text appears: PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT.

I put in the boot floppy but can\'t start any option or procedure. It seems that my harddisk 1 (which is devided in B, with system and programs and C with audio and samples) is no longer available. The boot floppy only recognizes drive D (my second harddisk) and changed it into C.

So I\'m all left with drive C (used to be D) which contains all my GIG files and they are my children, so you understand how reluctant I am to replace them with the image file (recovery disk).
    I never experienced something like this before and really don\'t know what to do. HELP!

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: PC Doctor, HELP!

sounds like your system drive wne tbad, which might mean the need for a new HDD to replace it. Try checking the cabling and make sure everythings connected.

King, I forgot to mention that I opened my computer and checked the cables already. Oh my, I hope my system/audio drive is still alive.
    It\'s a desktop computer and everything fits in really tight. To replace the harddisk it has to be dismantled completely, I think.
    Also, the bios only sees drive A and C.
    I have a bad feeling about this.

------------
    Alex Cremers

I really dont know what to say,

it really sounds like the first HDD went bad, since all you\'re seeing is your second (gig)

I\'m not sure how much can be saved if it did go bad.

Thanks for your time , King. I will take it to the shop. I can\'t help but wonder if it had something to do with the acoustic foam sleeves that Carillon uses to reduce harddisk noise. I once heard it also reduces the lifespan of the drive. Well, maybe it just bad luck.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Hi Alex, is it an IBM drive by any chance? Is it plugged into a high speed controller?

A couple of things that may or may not work, try setting it as a slave in another machine to recover the files. Also, try taking it out of any hi-speed controller and plugging it into a standard motherboard IDE channel.

Hope this helps, Scott.

Scott, how can I see if it\'s plugged into a high speed controller?
    One drive is maxtor, other drive might very well be IBM. Problem, I forgot which is which.
    I\'m a \"one computer does all\" kinda guy. Slaving and networking makes me go [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (in the moronic sence).
    Thanks.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Hi ALex, sorry I didnt respond sooner, generally the boot up screen will list the hard drive information and where it\'s plugged in. If it is going too fast, hit the pause/break key. Hit esc to resume after that.

I had two IBM drives start making strange noises and later found out that they really didnt like Promise hi point controllers. I now have an ibm drive plugged directly into an ide port of DAW2 and it doesnt give me any grief now.

Problem is, your drive may already be screwed. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Regards, Scott.

I already disconnected it and tomorrow I\'ll take it to the store. I\'m planning to ask if they indeed can recover the data and put it on a brand new disk. I probably pay alot of money for it and hopefully forget about the accident soon, if it works.
    Thanks everyone.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    I already disconnected it and tomorrow I\'ll take it to the store. I\'m planning to ask if they indeed can recover the data and put it on a brand new disk. I probably pay alot of money for it and hopefully forget about the accident soon, if it works.
    Thanks everyone.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You may want to ask around town, ask if anyone\'s had any experience with them doing data recovery. We\'ve had a few people go elsewhere around here, and have horror stories about how the shop made the data unrecoverable. If the data is that important, skip the local shop, send it directly to Ontrack. They\'re pricey, but they\'re the best in the business. Also, they won\'t void your warranty if they need to open your drive.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast