• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do you keep dust out of your studio?

Share/Bookmark

How do you keep dust out of your studio?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I was wondering if anyone has any special methods of keeping dust and dirt out of their studio...

I know there are filtering systems and I have even heard of labs that maintain a positive pressure environment (ok, maybe that\'s going too far)

What do you do? Simply Sweep? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards, Scott.

Re: How do you keep dust out of your studio?

Feather duster. Get one.

Man...that\'s so 18th Century...I much prefer a vacuum with a nice brush attachment for the keyboards.

Around 80% of indoor dust is actually human skin scales...gross, but true. Humans shed about 10 pounds of skin per year. So unless you wear a sealed body suit, your best bet is to just vacuum frequently and/or look into some kind of ventillation system which incorporates HEPA air filters. If ya really wanna get funky, look into one of those Sharper Image air cleaners...they don\'t do as much as a HEPA filter would, but they run silent and should improve air quality considerably more than nothing at all.
    -Hudson (who has clearly been watching waaaaay too much Discovery Science Channel...)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwdonehoo:

Feather duster. Get one.

Vacuuming really doesn\'t help that much. It merely spreads the dust around again. Get rid of that carpet you use for acoustic purposes and stop changing your clothes in the studio. Also don\'t forget to shower yourself thoroughly before you enter your studio. Clean the floor at least once a week with water and a little detergent . Your gear too, of course. Keep in mind never to use pure detergent on your precious apparatus.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Sounds like you need a new vacuum!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Vacuuming really doesn\'t help that much. It merely spreads the dust around again.

I actually place a FA-18 Hornet jet engine in the studio doorway and let it go full throttle for a few minutes. It clears out the dust as well as the carpets, the studio equipment, the paint on the walls, and then the actual walls themselves leaving you with a big, empty (dust free) space.

[quote]Originally posted by Hudson:
    Man...that\'s so 18th Century...
    Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Feather duster. Get one.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">*sigh* Guess I gotta explain it. Unlike vacuum cleaners and leaf blowers (and other such stuff)feather dusters do not turn knobs, move faders, push buttons, press keys, flip switches, yank out cords, inhale (or blow away) small objects, move gear or dispense a Christmas goose early. It just clears off the dust while not changing the way you work. THAT is why you need a feather duster.
    [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by Hudson:
    Sounds like you need a new vacuum!

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Vacuuming really doesn\'t help that much. It merely spreads the dust around again.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is very insulting to my vacuum cleaners. No I wink you not!

------------
    Alex Cremers

I\'d suggest shoveling some dirt onto the floor of your studio then wet it down with a hose. Water keeps dust down tremendously well.

BTW, you can do this with almost all your instrumenst as well.

some feather dusters do generate alot of static tho.

Just put your stuff on cloths, and buy lots of covers. They use clean air cans to clean it once every month or two. An Air filter will help, but the good hepa ones are loud. I\'m thinking about getting one or two of those Ion ones. We\'ll see.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast