• Register
  • Help

Topic: .gig to EXS-24 format

Share/Bookmark

.gig to EXS-24 format

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Should I get CDXtract for this conversion or will the converter that comes in the EXS-24 be sufficient?

I don\'t have the EXS-24 yet, to try it out.

Thank you for any info.

Re: .gig to EXS-24 format

Hi,

I\'ve converted a handful of giga files to EXS-24 lately. The internal conversion of the EXS works very well, however not all parameters make it.

I\'ll use the Garritan Library as an example. None of the patches that use the mod wheel to switch samples worked correctly, however the layers were in tact, so a little bit of editing and tweaking fixed the problem easily.

All the key switched programs translated fine.

The release samples showed up assigned to \"key down\", not \"key release\" as they were intended. Again, a fairly easy fix if you\'re EXS savy.

I would love to hear from someone else if CD Extract or Chicken Systems actually fixes these (minor) translation problems. I say minor, because the fixes are easy enough, although can be time consuming when you consider the size of some of these libraries.

Thanks, Jaimo. Since I don\'t have EXS yet, I wouldn\'t be knowledgable enough to make those tweaks quick enough. Unless the EXS manual is informative enough to explain.

Did you learn how to use the EXS editor just from the manual and your own exploration or is there some other guide to help as well ( like a CD tutorial)?

Did you learn how to use the EXS editor just from the manual and your own exploration or is there some other guide to help as well ( like a CD tutorial)?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I learned the basics from the original manual, although when Emagic released the EXS24 (free update to registered EXS owners), it had A LOT more to it from a programming standpoint, and the documentation available hasn\'t quite caught up (in my opinion).

However, if you\'ve done any reasonably basic programming, it\'s fairly intuitive.

I highly recommend getting it if you\'re a Logic user. In fact, I\'ll just go ahead and say if you\'re a Logic user, you MUST own it!

There\'s another thread going on in this forum about the disappointment some are feeling about the lack of development as far as the gigasampler is concerned. The other day I was running 14 instances of EXS (comparable to 14 MIDI channels of giga), all loaded up with mostly Garritan sounds along side a bunch of audio tracks, all streaming samples from my harddisk, all from within Logic. When my little 450Mhz G4 started to whince, I simply hit freeze on some of those tracks, and continued to work.

Can you imagine what it will be like with one of the new G5\'s? I\'m know the gigasampler is very powerful, but with experiences like the one I just shared, I have a hard time seeing how giga as a format will continue to succeed.

And with libraries like VSL coming out with EXS versions, I believe others are seeing the same thing.

Now that I\'ve totally gotten off track...

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Wow! Thanks for the real world experience with your Logic and EXS-24.

I am not anti-Giga at all. I look forward to Giga 3 but am quite happy with 160 as it is. I\'m able to get my work done.

I have decided though to add the Mac to my arsenal. So, Logic 6 and EXS-24 seem the most logical choice.

Just to hear you say how many instances you\'re running along side audio is very encouraging. Then the freeze function, in depth notation and Logic firewire video ability all sound just right for me.

I\'m very close to buying and those kind of comments reassure me I\'m going in a fine direction.

I\'m sporting a 1GHz powerbook (not yet used for audio) and am very curious to see what Logic, EXS-24 and my firewire drive will be able to do with it.

So, once i get the goods I\'ll just stick to the EXS conversion.

Thanks for your replies.

Go Back to forum