• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dark Strings

Share/Bookmark

Dark Strings

I did this just using u-he's Diva analog synth plugin.

It's my first effort in the electronic music genre.

Dark Strings

Re: Dark Strings

Will be the first to comment.
    I declared my musical taste before, so with this understanding, I like your dark strings.
    And, of course, with my nastiness, there is a BUT always.
    As you begin, I just love it, airy, fresh, nice. Then ( I would imagine the always present deep sound under the melody) starts, and you lost me. The sound is not a string, and while it is musically correct, it is annoyingly constant. I know nothing about the synthesizer you were using, so you may not have a choice to do differently, but if the line of that sound was changed to base pizzicato or marcato, and cut back in volume, I would like the piece more. Your finishing the piece shows you talent and taste, I just love it.

Ted

Ted,

Simply said, I like it. It does not sound like dark strings to me, but still - I like it. What my mind sees is a modern synthesizer played in the style of Vangelis. This piece would have fit very nicely in the score for the television series Cosmos. That is no small compliment. It has the feel of a large expanse of space and time. Pleasant, relaxing but with a hint of things to come.

Very, very well done for your first adventure into the electronic music genre. This would be an attractive selection in a album or as a score segment.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I did this just using u-he's Diva analog synth plugin.

It's my first effort in the electronic music genre.

Dark Strings

Hi Phil,

This piece reminds me of the period that I had to write a musical for 4 synth voices/instruments* (but that was in 1999, the so called middle ages). Now the synths have evolved quite a lot and function on wave-patches within the computer. What you did with the equipment is a very good start. 'Dark Strings' is the name of a patch? It doesn't refer that much to strings, but who cares. The result is a fine and easy listening composition. Please go on with the synths!

Max

* De Wijze Kater

Ted,

I'm happy you mostly enjoyed this one. Yes, the synth plugin I used just has the 70s to mid 80s pre-digital sounds so I went with the plucked bass patch. I can see where it could be annoying but maybe I intended it to be.

Phil

Tom,

Thank you for the encouraging comments and suggestions!

I have the Bladerunner soundtrack. Vangelis has to be greatly admired for his soundtrack work on that film.

I admit this music doesn't conjour up an image of dark strings. It was more of a play on words connecting string therory and dark matter for the lack of a better title.

Phil

Hi Max,

It's interesting that you were composing with synths in the pre soft instrument plugin days. I lost interest in computers with synths until the plugins became available and natural instrument realism took a major leap.

But now I'm back to synths sounds with this music. It's no wonder as electronic music seems to be every where these days and the hardware and software for it is a dominating market.

Dark Strings does sound like a patch. I concocted an explanation about this in my reply to Tom Davis.

Yes, easy listening is a good place to be, at least for me.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Phil

Out of sight, man! Very cool. Music I might hear on my next trip to Zorin 9. Wait, that's my operating system... No, seriously, this is really good, Phil. It's very refreshing, kind of effervescent, even. Easy to listen to but not easy listening, if that makes any sense. I know this kind of music has been around for decades, but I'm not very familiar with it, but I think this is very successful as music, period. It echoes on several minutes after it ended. I may very well listen again, and not just out of courtesy. It has a kind of magnetic attraction.

Michael,

Thanks for listening to my electronic tune and the nice comments. I've always been able to crank out a pretty good melody and I seem to often come up with an off the wall mix of music so maybe I'll try the crazy world of electronic sounds.

I also never paid much attention to current or past electronic music. Just the early 70s music from David Bowie and Brian Eno and a few others. Like rap, you just hoped that EDM would go away. But for some reason I started listening to Kraftwerk and to a lesser extent some other creators of electronic sounds music and slowly began to appreciate what they were doing. This started to feel like the future direction of MUSIC to me. Other music felt just temporary or music from mostly a time in the past that people were still clinging to. Good music has a long and rich history but I think technology could change all this as it is now slowly changing societies and what we or other intelligent life will become. Sadly, nothing lasts for ever, including Mozart.

Well, in the mean time I'll still enjoy Mozart, mess around with my toys and see what happens.

better a good synth than a bad sampler :P

May the synth live for ever, and ever, halleluja.

Go Back to forum