• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Directions"

Share/Bookmark

"Directions"

Here is a piece that I first posted on this forum almost nine years ago.

This is my "Directions". There is quite a bit of counterpoint.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Re: "Directions"

Hi Larry,

This is a jolly piece with pleasant counterpoint. However, you say it's an old piece... It sometimes sounds a bit worn out (right stereo channel overpowered and coughing...) Nevertheless, it is again an example of your rich imagination. With modern recorded real instruments it would show a lot more splendour. The music speaks for itself.

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Indeed, the music DOES speak for itself. What fun! Perhaps a new treatment would improve the listening quality, but the music itself would not be improved one iota.

There is an interesting story of a great conductor crossing the Atlantic on an ocean liner to become the conductor of the New York Philharmonic. Approaching the new world, he was able to listen to a live performance of the orchestra via the antiquated wireless broadcasts of the day. As one observer noted, it was, at times, almost impossible to tell what the orchestra was playing due to the static and drops in signal.

Yet, before the first rehearsal, the conductor, who had listened to the scratchy broadcasts, said to the orchestra manager, "You have an excellent orchestra and the music selections were superb, but the second clarinet player is weak."

So often we become absorbed in the technical delivery of our works that we cannot hear the beauty of the music itself.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Larry,

This is a jolly piece with pleasant counterpoint. However, you say it's an old piece... It sometimes sounds a bit worn out (right stereo channel overpowered and coughing...) Nevertheless, it is again an example of your rich imagination. With modern recorded real instruments it would show a lot more splendour. The music speaks for itself.

Thanks for sharing,
    Max
    I didn't say anything about it being an "old piece". I don't hear the audio problems that you describe. Check your equipment.

Thanks for listening.

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Indeed, the music DOES speak for itself. What fun! Perhaps a new treatment would improve the listening quality, but the music itself would not be improved one iota.

There is an interesting story of a great conductor crossing the Atlantic on an ocean liner to become the conductor of the New York Philharmonic. Approaching the new world, he was able to listen to a live performance of the orchestra via the antiquated wireless broadcasts of the day. As one observer noted, it was, at times, almost impossible to tell what the orchestra was playing due to the static and drops in signal.

Yet, before the first rehearsal, the conductor, who had listened to the scratchy broadcasts, said to the orchestra manager, "You have an excellent orchestra and the music selections were superb, but the second clarinet player is weak."

So often we become absorbed in the technical delivery of our works that we cannot hear the beauty of the music itself.

Tom

Your make a helluva lot of sense, young Tom Davis. Thanks.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    I didn't say anything about it being an "old piece". I don't hear the audio problems that you describe. Check your equipment.

Thanks for listening.

Larry Alexander
    Hi Larry,

A lot has changed during the last nine years. And there's nothing wrong with my equipment (top class professional equipment). Maybe the recording or disturbance on Box Net? But again, it's good and jolly music!
    Max

What a wonderful piece, Larry. Great control of the voices. I especially found the bass satisfying. Nice and deep, and fully supporting the other instruments. I did not find the sound problematic. A really nice ending - I was waiting for the downward scale of the bass to seal the deal, and thought it might not happen, but you made us wait just long enough to appreciate it all the more! Very clever!

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    What a wonderful piece, Larry. Great control of the voices. I especially found the bass satisfying. Nice and deep, and fully supporting the other instruments. I did not find the sound problematic. A really nice ending - I was waiting for the downward scale of the bass to seal the deal, and thought it might not happen, but you made us wait just long enough to appreciate it all the more! Very clever!
    Greetings to The Maine Man!

I am glad that you like my little chune, Mister Michael. Thanks for your input.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Larry,

I probably listened to your Directions about nine years ago. That's when I thought you were possibably a reincarnate of JS himself.

Great counterpoint for sure and a feeling of playfulness with it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Larry,

I probably listened to your Directions about nine years ago. That's when I thought you were possibably a reincarnate of JS himself.

Great counterpoint for sure and a feeling of playfulness with it.

Phil
    Thanks very much, Mister Phil. I appreciate your input. Thanks for the listen.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum