• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Optimizing Computer?

Share/Bookmark

Optimizing Computer?

Hi,
    I noticed a few posts from people with computers similar to mine (PIII450) who say with the right tweaks, they are getting great results running Gigastudio along with another app such as Cubase. What are the tweaks exactly?

My setup:
    PIII450
    128Ram
    Asus P3B-F motherboard
    ATI RagePro 8mb video
    Maxtor 20gb 7200rpm
    Event Gina soundcard

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Damien Jones (edited 07-04-2001).]

Re: Optimizing Computer?

Tweak 1: Buy more RAM. 128MB is barely enough to run anything big (you can JUST load Steinway B or something I believe) on a dedicated machine. If you want to run Cubase too... forget it. At least 256MB - and a fast harddrive.

Which gina card?

clueless

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clueless:
    Which gina card?

clueless

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 20-bit one.

I also use the 20 bit one. I had to turn off USB at the CMOS level to get polyphony.

clueless

how do you do that?

thanks.

When your system begins its boot sequence, hit delete to enter the BIOS setup. There are a handful of different BIOS manufacturers, but they all will feature a page referring to PCI or I/O configuration. Within this page, you can go in and turn off different ports featured on the motherboard.

In addition to turning off the USB port, I have my serial ports disabled as well. If you do not use your printer/parallel ports for dongles or connection to an external sync device (Like an MTPAV), you can turn those off as well.

What this does is free up additional IRQ allocations, and as a result, you can eliminate IRQ sharing and unnecessary IRQ polling by the system buss. Bottom line? you achieve greater overall performance because the system doesn\'t have to check on ports that are not being used.

Just a little system tweak I ran across that made a big difference to my system\'s performance.

Otis

From Otis

What this does is free up additional IRQ allocations, and as a result, you can eliminate IRQ sharing and unnecessary IRQ polling by the system buss. Bottom line? you achieve greater overall performance because the system doesn\'t have to check on ports that are not being used.

Ive read from a few threads including a reference to some of this from Otis were it\'s mentioned you need to have your sound card on the first pci slot [because thats the one the computer scans first and to make sure that your card doesn\'t share a IRQ with another device .
    Well I moved my sound card to the PCI first slot but now it wants to share a IRQ with the Video card on the AGP slot right next to it and also share a IRQ with PCI steering .

I looked and found that IRQ 3 and 7 are free , how do I get my sound card to go to those free IRQ\'s .
    Thanks , Ken

pci steering is no problem

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem with IRQs. My IRQ5 is not used on my system, yet Windows stuffs everything on IRQ 10 and 11 (5 cards all together). I tried everything possible to change it but with no success. Unless you owe a motherboard which allows you to assign particular IRQ to a certain slot (in PCI configuration) you only can try to swap cards around and hope that Windows choose some suitable IRQ assignment.

As regards the first slot, this is on many motherboards forced to share IRQ with AGP graphic card.

You can of course make a new user profile for your GSt work and disable all the things not needed. Like this I now have only 3 cards sharing 2 IRQs. As good as it gets...

Ondrej

Go Back to forum