• Register
  • Help

Topic: Companies suck...or blow...take your pick. :)

Share/Bookmark

Companies suck...or blow...take your pick. :)

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I\'m trying to buy a laptop, right? So I\'ve decided what I want and what I need. But can I get what I want and what I need? Of course not.

I can either buy from Best Buy or Circuit City and get a good warranty. Or I can buy direct from the manufacturer with a poor warranty. But if I go with a store I have to get their prepackaged deal...which comes with less processor power than I want and with both DIMMS filled, so if I upgrade the memory I\'ll have to just throw away the two sticks it comes with.

It doesn\'t seem like it\'s too much to ask for the right product at the right price. But it\'s impossible to find.

I\'ve had the same problem with digital cameras (something else I\'ve been looking into getting.) All I want is a camera that has 3+ megapixels and a huge zoom with image stabiliztion.

Can I get a huge zoom with image stabilization? Yes...but only at 2 megapixels. The only camera with a huge zoom that\'s up to 3 megapixels is the olympus 700 series. But they decided to leave out the image stabilization...so you have to have a tripod at the higher zooms.

Apply this gripe to sound libraries.

I love VSL. But I don\'t want a cimbasso sound. I don\'t care much for the Wagnerian tuba. But I want all the trombones and the piccolo trumpet. I wanted to buy just the woodwinds. But to get the full functionality of winds, I have to get the performance set...which means I\'d be forced to pay for the brass and strings included in that.

Why can\'t the break up the library and sell things seperately. I understand that going too far with that would be unreasonable. But, as it sits, its 5 grand for the latest. And they say, ultimately, it\'ll be a terrabyte or more. So the price will then limit sales to only serious financially stable professionals. Whereas if they sold, say for example, the trumpets as a kit (including piccolo, solo, section, bass and performance trumpets) it would keep anyone who was interested within the realm of do-ablility...even poor folk like myself.

Anyhow. Sorry about the ranting. I just have been really frustrated as I\'ve been looking into these sorts of purchases -- because it\'s impossible to get what I actually want without being pushed around by company philosophies and policies.

Re: Companies suck...or blow...take your pick. :)

The worst things come with the best warranty. Would you buy a Kia? But, the nice thing about electronics is, that if it doesn’t fail in the first 6 months, it’s probably fine.

I hear what you’re saying about sound libraries. That’s why I like Dan Deans way of packaging things. But, the truth is that you’d probably pay as much buying what you want separately, as you would buy the whole shmear. That way, you can grow into that Wagnerian Tuba at your leisure.

Re: Companies suck...or blow...take your pick. :)

Originally posted by Bill:
    The worst things come with the best warranty. Would you buy a Kia? But, the nice thing about electronics is, that if it doesn’t fail in the first 6 months, it’s probably fine.

I hear what you’re saying about sound libraries. That’s why I like Dan Deans way of packaging things. But, the truth is that you’d probably pay as much buying what you want separately, as you would buy the whole shmear. That way, you can grow into that Wagnerian Tuba at your leisure.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh, I would expect them to charge more if they sold it seperately. Or are you saying that buying a seperated library costs as much as the packaged ones. Because, if you\'re careful, that just isn\'t true. Yes, if you bought EVERYTHING in the VSL library from seperate sources you\'d probably pay as much (actually, a lot more.) But that\'s the point. I don\'t need EVERYTHING there. So by just getting what I need I can save money. Then, later, if I have the money I could get the next bit.

But as it sits, I can\'t do that. I\'ve bought Garritan strings, for example. Now, if I just want to add VSL winds later I\'m forced to get their performance set strings too...which I don\'t need. (I\'m not saying they wouldn\'t be great to have as well, just that I wouldn\'t need them.) And, if I only need the flutes I\'m forced to get all the other winds with them...even though I may not need them because I\'m satisfied with Dan Dean or Westgates stuff which I may already own.

I\'m not so worried about the electronic with the laptop...what you say is true...though there are definatley exceptions. What I like about some of the stores warranties, however, is the fact that they cover wear and tear damage. Like a key breaking off on the keyboard. Or the ac port that has been plugged/unplugged so many times that the cord won\'t stay in it anymore.

And yes, I\'ve seriously considered buying a Kia. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Remember? Poor guy. (*points finger at himself*)

Go Back to forum