• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach: Fugue in E-Major from the Well-Tempered Piano II for ORCHESTRA

Share/Bookmark

Bach: Fugue in E-Major from the Well-Tempered Piano II for ORCHESTRA

After some time of rest in the recent months today I orchestrated another great piece from Bach - the gorgous Fugue in E-Major from the Well-Tempered Piano II. For me it is one of my favourites from the composer ... How do you like it?

http://gerdprengel.de/Bach-Welltempe...Major_Orch.mp3

Gerd

Re: Bach: Fugue in E-Major from the Well-Tempered Piano II for ORCHESTRA

When it first began, I thought I was hearing the beginning of Mendelssohn's Reformation Symphony. Interesting. After all, Felix was a great admirer and proponent of JSB. Who knows, he may have drawn inspiration from this piece. In any case, it's a lovely orchestration, and it clearly inspired you!

Yes, Michael, it's indeed identical with the first 4 notes of Mendelssohn's Reformation Symphony (there in D-Major). I was not aware of it. Interesting ....

That was a great one from Bach. It sounds like it was an inspiration for later hymns.

You did a nice job on this orchestration and realization.

Those first four notes make me think of a song I've heard, possibably from a musical. I'll be up all night tying to think of it.

Phil

Actually you did almost the best one can do with this sounds... well done.

Just missing a little emphasis on the end, it may deserve a bit more stress (e.g. timpani roll, higher register of brass, some more crescendo).

Keep on doing !!
    cheers
    FV

Hi Gerd,

One more you did a terrific job. It's always difficult to understand the fabric of such a well equilibrated masterpiece with so many harmonic fluctuations (chords seem not to exist, the continuously change in an unexpected way and yet build a solid and consonant construction). Orchestrating such a texture is dangerous, one could easily ruin the fibers of it. But you've understood it rather weel and caught the right balance in the musical development of the fugue. I agree with Fabio that the end could bear a some more 'final' character, but what you did is certainly a good approach.
    The sound of the orchestra is warm and distinct, full and clear. Congratulations with it.

We are being spoiled with such divine music. Thanks for posting it and thank Bach in our place!
    Max

Nice job! It's hard to make strings like that sound good, but you managed it admirably.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Wunderbar! Sehr Gut!

Good job. I enjoyed your work. Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum