• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pros/Cons of upgrading

Share/Bookmark

Pros/Cons of upgrading

Hi All,

I\'m running Gigasampler 64, and am contimplating upgrading to Gigastudio 160. My system runs find now on one machine, running with Logic Audio on a Celeron o/c 566/850 chip and maxed out ram. Guess I don\'t want to mess things up, and would be content to stay where I am, but it looks like a good deal to upgrade.

My ultimate goal is to have a dedicated machine for Gigastudio, but I don\'t know if it would be a practical upgrade at this point. Any chance of having run decently on one machine with Logic Audio?

Any input in the matter?

Thanks

Larry

Re: Pros/Cons of upgrading

Look up posts by Hancor.

He made it (Logic audio and Giga) happen, but it sounds kind of difficult and I\'m not sure what the polyphony/number of audio tracks trade off is.

The only benefit I found was that I\'m not bored with the same old problems. I now have a complete new set of bugs to keep me interested. I had GS64 and after several different installs finally got it working greatUsing one machine. I just upg. to GS96 and still have not gotten it to work properly. In all honesty, I don\'t think that this company really has it together and I\'m going back to my hardware alternatives without worrying about the thousand things that have to be tweaked that distract from doing your music.
    Yes, I\'m disgruntled with this company

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
    Hi All,

I\'m running Gigasampler 64, and am contimplating upgrading to Gigastudio 160. My system runs find now on one machine, running with Logic Audio on a Celeron o/c 566/850 chip and maxed out ram. Guess I don\'t want to mess things up, and would be content to stay where I am, but it looks like a good deal to upgrade.

My ultimate goal is to have a dedicated machine for Gigastudio, but I don\'t know if it would be a practical upgrade at this point. Any chance of having run decently on one machine with Logic Audio?

Any input in the matter?

Thanks

Larry
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too own GSt 160 but I don\'t use it yet. I have stuck with the GS 64.

When I get a dedictaed machine for GSt then I\'ll make the switch.

I agree, you\'ll be swapping one set of bugs for another set...that\'s the reality with an infant idea (Gigasampler/gigastudio) running on a ****ty OS like 98.

But, improvements will happen...this is the nature of most good ideas like GS/GSt.

If I were you and was running smoothly on my machine....I wouldn\'t mess with my system at all!!!!! You want more polyphony?
    Capture all your channels into audio...then load up another 16 channels and capture those as well.
    YOu\'ll get all the voice polyphony you want...if that\'s your kick.

I don\'t run audio sequencing on the same machine, but GSt 160 just works all day for me. I have the occasional quirk, like Quicksound update runs out of memory sometimes, but apart from that I could never go back to hardware only - I need the streaming off HD and the polyphony.

Go Back to forum