• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hey Hancor! What's the Poly/Audio trax trade off?

Share/Bookmark

Hey Hancor! What\'s the Poly/Audio trax trade off?

Hey Hancor,

I was wondering if by now you\'ve got a good feel for what your polyphony/audio tracks trade off is between Logic Audio and Giga.

I\'ve got this setup, still don\'t use the audio side of Giga and anticipate maiking Giga stand alone eventually, simply because it doesn\'t like to share.

Is your system running smoothly?

Do you get 160 polyphony with 24 tracks of audio, a zillion VST plugins and instruments like the pro5, B4 etc.,?

I\'m being facetious, but I suppose they\'re the kinds of things we really want in the end.

What have you found to be the practical limit so far?

Re: Hey Hancor! What\'s the Poly/Audio trax trade off?

Hi Chadwick,

My colleague Rob, is currently working on a song with 24 audio, 20 MIDI tracks and about a dozen Logic Audio FX at 16bit, 44.1Khz resolution. The hardware is on a Tyan S1837 UANG motherboard with and Intel PIII 850Mhz CPU. So far the CPU usage in Logic is hovering around 20%, while disk usage is about 5%. When sampling GS160 into Logic Audio we\'ve set the polyphony to 160;
    and done it a track at time into Logic. We haven\'t yet found a need to run more. When applying FX one can either run the GS160 FX or the audio FX in Logic. If you layer on 32bit plugins the danger is to swamp the CPU
    floating point register with data. IE. 2exp(32)= 4.3 billion samples to recreate the sine wave!!! So if you are in the habit of running 32bit plugins use them judiciously.

On the other hand in a few years time when IBM rolls out their 210GHz transistor technology this will merely be an academic matter.

If your interested in the article on 210Ghz transistors you\'ll find it here:
    http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/news/20010625_transistor.shtml

In the event you are a power geek with a physics background
    you can get the full meal deal here:
    http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/443/meyerson.html

Warning do not read the second article unless you wear a calculator with scientific functions and know how to use it.

Logic Audio and GS160 at 210 Ghz, now that thought will allow one to run more than a few plugins at 32 bit resolution!!!

As the futurist Frank Ogden once told me: \"The steamroller of change is coming; you can either ride it or become part of the road.\"

Sorry for being a little off topic, but for those of us who depend on computing power for living, this is pretty big news.

Regards

Hans

Go Back to forum