• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Band Library

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Band Library

Is it worth getting Garritan Band? For example, are the trumpets better than GPO? Trombones? Tubas?

Also: what about the jazz library. How good are the saxes? I don't write jazz, but sometimes only a saxophone will do. They fill the gap between woods and brass, if you use them judiciously.

I will probably wait for GPO 5. Maybe that will take care of of most of my needs.

Re: Garritan Band Library

I use Concert and Marching Band and the Jazz libraries. For the most part I layer their instruments (especially brass) to get an edge to the sound. Two of the band compositions I wrote and sold used the CoMB library exclusively and with a little extra reverb received complements even though I did not use DAW. I am also anxious to hear the new GPO. I only hope it is within a reasonable price range.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Is it worth getting Garritan Band? For example, are the trumpets better than GPO? Trombones? Tubas?

Also: what about the jazz library. How good are the saxes? I don't write jazz, but sometimes only a saxophone will do. They fill the gap between woods and brass, if you use them judiciously.

I will probably wait for GPO 5. Maybe that will take care of of most of my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post

I would say the two libraries, which I also have, are pretty close sonically to GPO4. I don't believe anyone else offers a marching and concert band library. Fables Sounds has the very impressive Broadway Big Band and Broadway Lites at Sweetwater. High end products with a price to match.

Hi Michael,

JaBB is my main library and I use it extensively. Here's the question to ask yourself: Will I be creating Jazz and/or Big Band music? (I also use it extensively for jazzy musical theater jobs).

The brass have every conceivable mute ... straight, cup, harmon, and one of my favorites for ballads, buckets. There's even a single trumpet and trombone wah-wah effect. There are plenty of multiple chairs to create endless ensembles. The trumpets have all the jazz-specific note endings ... doits, rips, fall-offs, etc., and the absolutely best user-defined shakes around.

The saxes are excellent, however, you have to do your due diligence to get them to sound realistic. When concerted (both in unisons or in a chordal voicing), each sax MUST have different note start and ending times, different cc1 data (volume), different vibrato (aftertouch), velocity, etc. IOW, you can't just plunk in quantized sax notes without cc's and expect it to sound any different than an accordion (BTW, it also has a great accordion! ). This technique applies to the brass as well, but is absolutely crucial to the saxes. And saxes you get: The entire sax family, from sopranino down to Tubax (sub-contrabass!), with plenty of multiple chairs for any sax ensemble you want.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I said, I will need to wait for GPO5 before making any decisions. I don't expect it to have saxes, but you never know. I'm just hoping for enough general improvement that I can replace Vienna Special Edition, which doesn't work very well (although it sounds nice for the most part). As for saxes, I don't use them much, and so far have gotten fair results with the ones in Dimension Pro (Sonar plug-in). But they are limited to Alto, Tenor and Baritone. We'll see what happens...

Go Back to forum