• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about installing a 3rd Hard drive

Share/Bookmark

Question about installing a 3rd Hard drive

Hello All,
    I currently have 2 hard drives on my computer, one for programs (8 gig) and one for gigs and audio (30 gig). Well I\'m about out of space on my 30 gig drive and want to buy another 60 gig drive for more gigs. If I install it, will Giga recognize the 3rd drive as well as the 2nd drive or do I have to configure something extra?
    A guy put my computer together, whom I can\'t get in touch with anymore, and specifically told me my D drive (2nd drive) was for audio, so I don\'t know if he added something to my computer to make it know that the D drive was routed for audio or if he just installed the drive normally.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated on what I need to do to install a 3rd drive would be greatly appreciated. I\'m gonna need it for Gigastrings
    Also, anybody know where I can get a 60 gig hard drive that works with Giga for about 200 bucks?

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 07-05-2001).]

Re: Question about installing a 3rd Hard drive

No problem
    Add the third drive.
    Giga quick sound when refreshing itself
    will recognize your third drive in no time.
    Just make sure your third drive is a fast drive
    (Like IBM ATA7200 rpm), this is the meaning of a disk for audio.
    That it is fast.
    Cheers
    Eilam

Cool! Thanks for the reply Eilam.

The most important thing is to make sure that you set the master and slave jumpers correctly, or the system will not recognize the drive.

You may need to go into FDISK and partition the drive as well if it is brand new. You will also need to format it as well.

Getting Giga to scan the drive is the easy part, setting everything up correctly initially is the critical step.

Otis

Regarding a 60 gig drive, I have found that IDE drives above 40 gig kick down to a 5400 RPM rotational spin......that kind of blows for streaming audio samples. Has anyone had any problems with large drives and slow spin speeds?

I just saw a 10K Cheetah at 70 something gigs in the Recycler for a couple of hundred bucks recently! Seagate has a new 180 gig Barracuda drive that looks killer. 14 platters, 7200 RPM, 7.3 millisecond seek time!

Granted, it costs an arm, a leg, and a couple of fingers.......but ya gotta love the march of technology. The same drive will cost a fraction of it\'s current price in 6 months!

Otis

[This message has been edited by Otis Fuddpucker (edited 07-06-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Otis Fuddpucker:

Seagate has a new 180 gig Barracuda drive that looks killer. 14 platters, 7200 RPM, 7.3 millisecond seek time!

Otis

[This message has been edited by Otis Fuddpucker (edited 07-06-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me Otis...how many weeks are you willing to dedicate to defragmenting this drive? The size is entirely to large for general PC use. This is a drive designed for multi-processor, terrabyte memory servers.

Michael

format E: /z:64

will give you better read/writes for audio

Midi rat,

Don\'t be so serious.....I was merely having fun with the apparent absurdity of the size of this drive.

I can tell you that the Medea AudioRack drive system (117 gigs formatted, 77 gigs currently used for Giga instruments) that I use can defrag in less than 20 minutes. See, the trick is to de-frag on a regular basis (I try to de-frag at least every other day). If you stay on top of your maintenance, than de-fragging time is greatly reduced.

As far as this type of drive being only for \"multi-processor, terabyte memory servers\" I think that you are overlooking the possibilities of a drive like this. Although at first thought, it seems excessive.....I personally know of more than a handful of composers who are using 2 huge Barracudas for all of their instruments (one has over 90 gig worth of instruments and sounds split over 2 drives)....who is to say what is \"too big\"?

tsk, tsk.... such narrow vision, my friend.

Otis

[This message has been edited by Otis Fuddpucker (edited 07-09-2001).]

Nous,

Cool trick. I have heard of software that can re-size the sectors without re-formatting, but for the life of me can\'t remember the name. Do you know what it is?

Otis

[This message has been edited by Otis Fuddpucker (edited 07-09-2001).]

Partition Magic does this.

Go Back to forum