• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Google, Altavista etc stopped working

OT: Google, Altavista etc stopped working

sponsored links

A few days ago Google.com, Altavista.com, Yahoo.com and more search engines (including local .dk versions of above!) stopped working! Instead I got to another site. I had a feeling it might be some adware that was causing trouble, so I got an adware remover and removed everything. But the problem persists. Right now I get to a place called \"cpanel\" instead of google. The weird thing is my URL still reads www.google.com when I get there. And it isn\'t a DNS problem with my ISP, because it\'s only on this PC the problem is. On the others in my network there is no problem! I tried scanning the registry for \"google\" trying to find redirections etc. because something crazy must be going on. Anyone read about this problem or had it themselves???

Re: OT: Google, Altavista etc stopped working

Finally it might have been fixed. Seems it was some virus file called \"hosts\" in the Windows/HELP dir - a list of hostnames and where they should be redirected to or smth. Strange.

Two days ago for no apparent reason my browser stopped going to google (but WILL go to all the others) - done a virus check but to no avail...This sounds really wierd...

I had this also. Go to the Settings, Add/Remove Programs in Windows, and look for a thing called \"Internet optimizer\" - you can delete that if you got it, for me the problem was gone then.

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Disclaimer: I\'m not responsible for any damage on your system, this advice was made to the best of my knowledge [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Hansi. I didn\'t have that program though - just a file called \"Hosts\" in the Windows Help directory. I deleted it and the problem went, but I\'ve now installed Lavasoft\'s Adaware (so hopefully wont get that problem again)....

Go Back to forum