• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Second Score In Notion

Share/Bookmark

Second Score In Notion

Hi folks, here's Skating, the second movement of Three Winter Scenes. PDF and Wave. I'll be getting to work on "Late February" soon. (Wave is already done, just have to do the score).

Score: https://app.box.com/s/6312leuqya5sqx5jz6fgsltne7eikfkz

Wave: https://app.box.com/s/fxw5spopvp3i7x024urjodec6fsgc9dl

Michael D.

Re: Second Score In Notion

Just an observation, there are so many key changes in this piece, some for just a few measures, IMO it would make more sense to use no key signatures at all, just accidentals.

I like it very much. Love your flute and harp especially. The orchestration is superb. Looking forward to the 3rd movement.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Just an observation, there are so many key changes in this piece, some for just a few measures, IMO it would make more sense to use no key signatures at all, just accidentals.
    That is a good point, Jeff. I actually tried to choose key signatures in a way that minimized accidentals within the measures. The trade-off, of course, is frequent signature changes. When I first composed these pieces in the 1980's, I did not use key signatures. But I quickly discovered that conductors were not keen on this. No matter; the pieces have remained unperformed. I'll consider your suggestion. The great thing is, with today's notation software, you can easily do either.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I like it very much. Love your flute and harp especially. The orchestration is superb. Looking forward to the 3rd movement.
    Ted
    Thanks, Ted, I appreciate it, especially the part about my orchestration.

No matter how many scores you wrote with Notion,
    this one is a really enjoyable piece of music.
    I see your skaters whirling at a quite pace —
    slower than I expected— as they were melancholically
    leaving traces on the ice of their passage in this life and time.

[JOKE]
    And what an elegant looking score, with so many
    twice or more featured instruments on one stave:
    how did you learned doing this?
    [/JOKE]
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thank you, Fabio. you correctly picked up the touch of melancholy in this piece, which is mostly exuberant. You're quite right, there is some existential angst hidden in there.

Also quite correct about my learning from you how to set up the Horns (although I have to relearn how every time how to do it).

What a wonderfully evocative movement! I can almost feel the ice under my blades as I glide happily along through this delightful piece. How much more thoroughly enjoyable is the experience of listening to music when there is a carefully prepared score at hand! Thank you, Sir, for providing it.

And thank you for your kind words, Sean. I'm now working on the third movement, and have discovered that Notion has a break or lift mark, what looks like a comma. This is helping greatly in simplifying things. but I'll now have to go back to the other two movements and fix them also. I also need to do something about the key situation. Jeff's right, it's crazy!

Thumbs up Re: Second Score In Notion

Hi Michael,

Sorry for listening so late to this splendid (impressionist) work. What a wonderful score and what a wealth of expressive chords and harmonies. The flute solo even reminded me of Debussy's Syrinx (flute solo). I enjoyed every second of the composition. I didn't realise that skating could bring so much musical joy! We all know some waltzes (even by J. Strauss) about skating and some later romantic ¾ pieces, but what we hear here is of a different kind. The only thing missing is a big punch symbolising the skater making closer contact with the icy surface... (I say that because my wife tried some skating last year after many years, she fell and broke two vertebrae, which meant two months of revalidation and a lot of pain. Not everything about skating is so romantic...)

That being said, you did a terrific job as to thematic material, elaboration and orchestration. If I don't like (personal!) something, it is the sax. All the rest is a blessing for the ears!

Congratulations and a big round of applause,
    Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast