• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Fiddletasia"

Share/Bookmark

"Fiddletasia"

All,

The title may be misleading. This is not a "country" song. It is my work for solo violin and harpsi.

Here is "Fiddletasia".

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Re: "Fiddletasia"

Hi Larry.
    Really enjoyed this.
    I like your harpsichord revival.
    Underrated instrument
    in modern and contemporary music,
    it deserves to be kept alive
    next to the pianoforte, like radio
    surviving next to television.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

I like it, but contrary to Fabio, I love the "fiddle" but I think the whole piece would sound even better with a piano. I love your violin, what did you use for it?
    As far your composition, as usual, I love it. And, I do not mind if you ignore my piano suggestion, style-wise, the harpsichord fits better, and you are the composer....

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Hi Larry.
    Really enjoyed this.
    I like your harpsichord revival.
    Underrated instrument
    in modern and contemporary music,
    it deserves to be kept alive
    next to the pianoforte, like radio
    surviving next to television.
    Good day to you, Mister Fabio!

Grazie for taking the time to listen to "Fiddletasia". I have always liked the harpsichord and have composed extensively for it. Some would probably say "too extensively".

My best to you, my Italiano friend.

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I like it, but contrary to Fabio, I love the "fiddle" but I think the whole piece would sound even better with a piano. I love your violin, what did you use for it?
    As far your composition, as usual, I love it. And, I do not mind if you ignore my piano suggestion, style-wise, the harpsichord fits better, and you are the composer....

Ted
    Mister Ted,

The violin is from the EWQL Gold sample library. The harpsi. is from the Garritan GPO sample library.

I appreciate and respect your opinions. Thank you very much.

My best,

Larry Alexander

Wonderful stuff, Mr. Larry. Forgive me for indulging my propensity to hear other composers in members' work, but I am reminded of Bocherrini. Specifically, the Fandango. Only a hint, mind you, but somehow it is there, perhaps only in my mind, which is always trying to tie things together. But a great combo, with the fluid yet at times incisive violin, contrasted with the "delicious jangle" of the harpsichord (I once saw that description of the instrument somewhere, and I have always wanted to use it). I'm not sure which side each instrument is traditionally on in a combo like this, but for some reason I want them to be reversed. Maybe because I think orchestrally, and the violins would be on the left? In any case, nice work, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Wonderful stuff, Mr. Larry. Forgive me for indulging my propensity to hear other composers in members' work, but I am reminded of Bocherrini. Specifically, the Fandango. Only a hint, mind you, but somehow it is there, perhaps only in my mind, which is always trying to tie things together. But a great combo, with the fluid yet at times incisive violin, contrasted with the "delicious jangle" of the harpsichord (I once saw that description of the instrument somewhere, and I have always wanted to use it). I'm not sure which side each instrument is traditionally on in a combo like this, but for some reason I want them to be reversed. Maybe because I think orchestrally, and the violins would be on the left? In any case, nice work, as usual.
    I haven't heard much of Bocherrini in a long time. I am not really that familiar with his works.

When I write orchestral works I visualize the positions of each section in my mind as I am composing. There are no hard and fast rules concerning instrument positions when it comes to small groups, I don't think. In the case of this particular work, I have separated the two instruments by too much space. It sounds as though the violinist and the harpsichordist don't like each other and are performing from opposite sides of a stage.

Thanks for your always welcome input.

Best,

Larry Alexander

always pleased by your eclectic composing Larry.

take care old friend
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    always pleased by your eclectic composing Larry.

take care old friend
    Fabio
    I am pleased that you took the time to listen, Mister Fabio. Thanks very much.

Best,

Larry Alexander

I enjoyed you Fiddletasia Larry. That fiddle sounds pretty good. I have EWQL Silver but the last time I checked the upgrade to Gold was kind of expensive for an older library.

Thanks for posting your music.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast