• Register
  • Help

Topic: Well-Tempered Clavier Book II - Fugues in g-minor and g#-minor for ORCHESTRA

Share/Bookmark

Well-Tempered Clavier Book II - Fugues in g-minor and g#-minor for ORCHESTRA

After the orchestration of the E-Mjor Fugue from Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier Book II
    now I did the same with the Fugues in g-minor:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/WT2-g-Minor-fuge_orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Bach_WT2-g...fugue_orch.pdf

and g#-minor:

Especially the g#-minor fugue was a wonderful experience. Usually this masterwork is performed with rather fast tempo which to my mind does not convey the depth of this work. Through Daniel Barenboim's wonderful slow interpretation I got an idea what an ingenious and chromatic work this is, and so I tried to create a slow and pathetic 'Andante sonstenuto' orchestration. My favourite part is the final part starting at 7:20 :

www.gerdprengel.de/WT2-gis-Minor-fugue_orch.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/WT2-gis-Minor-fugue_orch.pdf

Re: Well-Tempered Clavier Book II - Fugues in g-minor and g#-minor for ORCHESTRA

Gerd:

I hope you will not feel bad for what I am going to say.
    I remember commenting on you work years ago, suggesting that you should cut back on the volume of your beloved woods.
    You came a long way since. This one especially is so well balanced and orchestrated, that it is a class by itself. Your free use of strings and the wonderful woods just a delight.
    Thanks for posting it. It is lovely.

Ted

Re: Well-Tempered Clavier Book II - Fugues in g-minor and g#-minor for ORCHESTRA

The g-minor: Love that key; two of my favourite Mozart symphonies are in it. Very nice bassoon. I thought the entrance of the brass (horns?) was a bit harsh, but this may have to do more with the sample used than anything else. Overall, this definitely works. I think Bach would be pleased (once he got over the shock of our modern technology, which probably would seem diabolical to him).

The g#-minor: I too hate it when conductors get the tempo wrong. This seems just right. Excellent choice of instruments, especially the woodwinds. It really showcase their strengths. They are all in their best registers. This arrangement really captures the pathos of this piece. I know Bach would be pleased with this. Perhaps he is listening even now, in one of those alternate universes to which Mr. Alexander alluded in previous thread...

Go Back to forum