• Register
  • Help

Topic: ORCH: A much less complicated chord

Share/Bookmark

ORCH: A much less complicated chord

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    My favorite new chord lately has been an augmented Neopolitan. In the key of C:

Db, F, A

Or, if you\'d rather, an augmented 4 chord:

F, A, C#

Or, if you really must insist, an augmented 6 chord:

A, C#, E#

Any inversion will do. F will sound more in sync with the key. Db will sound more Neopolitan, (Technically, I don\'t think you can actually call it a Neopolitan as one of the criteria for being Neopolitan is that it\'s a major chord. But, oh well.) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And A will sound like a very weird sort of deceptive cadence (assuming you come from the dominant V chord - otherwise just the relative minor...er...but whoops, it isn\'t minor anymore. Heh heh heh....)

I get some great ostinato driving along on the tonic (say, with basses and cellos) and then, suddenly, out of nowhere, boom!! This wacko augmented chord with full brass. It really throws the ear...but not really, if you know what I mean. It makes for a very exciting sound.

Re: ORCH: A much less complicated chord

okay, maybe to stick on to this thread...

my favorite chord is an (doesnt matter which key) cmin7#5, so C, G#, Bb, D#,
    ususally you could call it G#add9 over C, but the first one sounds little shorter [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

if you have quiet passages or use it as a padatmosphere-like thingy, it sounds really cool.

my favourite is this:

C - A - C# - G#

all spread out.

It sounds really nice in medium, soft non-vib strings, set of by a soft harp chord.

Williams uses it a lot in minority report. It\'s highly dissonant, but very spacious (which is rare [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

take care

Mine is not far:
    c / f / f# / b [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

my favorite is C maj c e g

because when all is said an done it is the chord you cant live without all the upper over tone extensions are all icing on the cake and only add color to the foundation

Isn\'t this a bit like saying \"my favorite word is \'avenue\'\"? Unless you are creating a composition that consists entirely of one chord, it is meaningless. A composition provides the context that can make even a simple major chord an unexpected event. Similarly, a complex chord really means nothing musically outside the context of a good composition.

John

favorite or not. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I like the opening chord from Lutoslawski\'s \"Mi Parti\" very much.. Essentially its just a c-min and b-min triad together. But goes very well:

g-c-eb-f#-b-d

(in the strings)

Originally posted by spinach ravioli:
    Isn\'t this a bit like saying \"my favorite word is \'avenue\'\"? Unless you are creating a composition that consists entirely of one chord, it is meaningless. A composition provides the context that can make even a simple major chord an unexpected event. Similarly, a complex chord really means nothing musically outside the context of a good composition.

John
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">i agree, but there is still such a thing as fundamental for example there are fundamental colors and all the rest are part of the mixture of these fundamentals, the overtone series itself points to what is fundamental in nature

I, personally, like hearing people\'s so-called favorite chords -- and trying them out to see what I think. That, in and of itself, makes this post somewhat useful. Although, admitedly, when I started it I meant more to discuss MY chord than to hear other\'s favorites. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But this is great too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum