• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rush in Rio - what's with the terrible mix???

Rush in Rio - what\'s with the terrible mix???

sponsored links

The Rush in Rio live DVD and CD sets are out now.

Incredible performance and setlist.

But what\'s with the mix? The audio CDs may be the worst live recording I\'ve ever heard in my life. I swear it sounds like an audience boot, from the LAST row. The music is practically mono, muddy and buried in audience noise. It\'s like Rush playing in the middle of a world cup match, a three hour recording of 40,000 people screaming non-stop. Very ear-fatiquing after a short while.

The DVD is somewhat better as you can at least turn-off or unplug your surround speakers. Nothing but loud audience is fed to the rear speakers, very annoying.

How could such a bad mix be released? The liner notes mention that they had a late setup, no time for sound-check and not the best recording gear. But none of this would account for the audience level. You know the music is recorded straight off the board and was no doubt clear, so all the audience noise was no doubt added in post-production.

Arggg!! drives me crazy. Ok, I\'ll stop complaining....At least the video is high quality, and their performance is absolutely awesome.

Re: Rush in Rio - what\'s with the terrible mix???

Oh man! I thought I was seeing things when I had noticed this topic.

It is very nice to see a Rush fan here!!!

Caught the Vapor Trails tour twice - awesome, awesome, and awesome!!!!

Looked for the new DVD this past weekend - no luck [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The mix? Oh, not again. Vapor Trails is the worse \"sounding\" Rush CD every. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

It\'s Alex\'s fault. Apparently this is the first Rush live album that Geddy hasn\'t had a hand in mixing...and the first one that Alex has. Doh! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

No kidding?

Alex gets more aggressive with every CD - guitar wise. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

There was much debate over the VP mix. Clipping in the audio.
    I believe there was an interview where Geddy speaks of the horror of mixing that CD.

With the $$$ the must have – why do it yourself?

Don’t get me wrong – I am a major RUSH fan.

After I get passed all the vocal sampling projects I have - I am off to create a Geddy tribute sampling project. Sell or don\'t sell - It will be a blast!

Me <------------- bassist of 18 years [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Just picked up the Geddy bass in fact

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] it sounds like S^#%%!! 20 times the 50 power!
    crap crap crap crap! i listened to it once and threw it like frisbee. what the hell were they smoking??
    did they go deaf? did one of ther grandkids mix it?. what where they using? cool edit pro run through a peveay amp?.who produced this crap? he should be shot! NOW! they should offer rebates!
    in fact they should offer a recall and discontinue it and hope no one ever listens to it ever again!!
    i am going to sell mine on ebay!

Well, I slid in the DVD - hit power on a 200 watt Yamaha 5.1 system and BANG!

I think it sounds wild! It sounds very VERY live.
    Lifeson\'s guitar is way loud in the mix and I cant hear Geddy\'s voice very well but -

I am still very happy about it. A true RUSH fan knows that it\'s very rare to even get a video out of them, not to mention an hour long docu...

It\'s kinda like a glass half full. On one hand, it\'s an awesome performance and the ONLY Rush DVD, on the other hand I would rate it possibly the worst sounding live mix I\'ve ever heard.

It\'s tough to listen too for any extended stretch as it\'s very ear fatiguing, too much crowd noise combined with a very hyped eq - bright and boomy while lacking mid-range. Compared to the sound of Different Stages, this really sounds almost like and audience boot. The band just sounds somewhat far away and mostly mono. Not much instrument clarity at all. Such a waste of an amazing performance by one of the most talented bands ever. I just can\'t believe this is the best mix they could come up with, even considering the harried setup and no sound-check. Anyway, complaining isn\'t going to change anything, just venting.

You guy either have hearing loss or you\'re just Rush bashers. This DVD is fricking INCREDIBLE!! It\'s even turned my kids into Rush fans. \"Boy, for only 3 guys they sound really goood, and he\'s really singing!\"

I\'ve been a Rush fan for over 20 years. This DVD is the perfect addition for any Rush fan. And at $19.95 at Wal-Mart it\'s a steal. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And the crowds...the crowd!! 40,000 fans pulsating to the beat of every song! In \"YYZ\" they\'re SINGING along to an instrumental tune!! AMAZING!!

And then in the jam section of \"FREE WILL\" the crowd is doing the \"not worthy\" wave towards the band. You could tell by the look on their faces, Rush was humbled by this.

Crank this puppy up, turn the lights down, have a beer or 2, or smoke em if you\'ve got em, this one deserves to be played from start to finish in one setting.

I thought the Vapor Trail tunes kicked *** live! I thought the CD versions were crap, but on this DVD the songs have really sparked my interest.

This kicks all around. I thought the audio was awesome. In both surround and stereo. I\'ve always had to tweak my sound system to maximize the event of a live DVD recording. I never leave it on my movie settings for live concerts. In a concert setting the sound is always in front of you, not behind you.

Thanks Rush!!!!

Go Back to forum