• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cloudscapes, for flute ensemble

Cloudscapes, for flute ensemble

Since I've been silent on the forum for quite a while, I'll link to something here that I recently uploaded to Soundcloud.

"Cloudscapes" was written in 2009, and is scored for six flutes, alto flute, and bass flute. At the request of the director of a flute choir, I rendered a recording directly from Finale, using various flutes from GPO, as a demo track. This is completely unedited Finale output, but doesn't sound too bad.

Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Cloudscapes, for flute ensemble

Thanks for posting this unusual piece, Dan. I've never heard that combination before. I thought that it was very successful. The instruments blended together well, and the arrangement worked nicely. The piece on the whole had good form, and evoked very well the fleeting patterns made by clouds. I find clouds endlessly fascinating, and enjoy watching them on my walks. It is dreamy, impressionistic music. We need more of that on this forum! It's good to know I'm not the only Impressionist around here!
    michael diemer

Shelton, Washington State

I thought your Cloudscapes was very good. I really like the impressionistic genre, especially Debussy.

I've never heard a flute ensemble like this before. I'm sure a live performance will well received.

Canada,winter Mexico

Never listen to one either, it sounds great, liking it a lot.

Hi Dan,

As a flute player, I can only welcome such pieces. Flute ensembles are rather rare and for some a curiosity, but they can be very effective and 'impressing'. That is what you did. Your work deserves a better rendition though: more equilibrated (not all the flutes have the same power and brightness). Some EQ'ing could solve this problem easily. Giving them some natural ambience and space would create a real benefit for the flutes.
    All this is not so difficult with the Aria flutes. They have been recorded for use in a very wide range of techniques without having to go to deeply into key switch details and CCs.
    A very beautiful work that needs a place in flute classes and on many stages.

Well done,

Go Back to forum