• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Passage

Share/Bookmark

The Passage

Well, I locked myself in the laboratory and came up with some more electronic music.

Again, I'm using u-he's Diva soft synth including some Luftrum 9 & 11 patches. Also one short note from SoundIron's Elements choir.

The Passage

Re: The Passage

Wow!
    That was a delightful trip! The changing scenery, things are happening, would just be great for a travel video.
    I enjoyed it very much, including the sounds. I could not find the choir.
    Thanks for posting it

Ted

Agreed, another superb offering from our synth wizard. Wonderful key change at about 1:10. It is tempting to make a foray into this interesting world. The sounds are incredible. No worrying about how realistic the samples are, or how to get the strings right. The power and clarity of electronic instruments can be stunning. The rather funky passage at about 4:00 is really cool, somehow Western in tone. I imagine a group of Wagon Trains rambling through the prairie. This music is a nice palette cleanser. Hopefully he keeps it coming!

Hi Phil,

So glad you posted this little 'alternative' piece of music here. It proves that the so called traditional instruments can easily be replaced by modern gear without torturing our ears. Quite the opposite actually. Your piece shows inventiveness, spirit an a good portion of variation. The synths produce a nice, enjoyable rich sound and support the rather traditional harmonies well. The classical composer in a new role. Fantastic, isn't it? I guess many of us wondered what if Mozart would have had such equipment? And a PC and virtual instruments...?

Max

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Wow!
    That was a delightful trip! The changing scenery, things are happening, would just be great for a travel video.
    I enjoyed it very much, including the sounds.
    Thanks for posting it

Ted
    Thanks for liking this one Ted.

I wasn't sure how this would be received on this forum with the some what wild second section, but I guess it does a good job of setting up the next part. Maybe a travel log for a one way trip to Mars.

I could not find the choir.
    The choir patch was one of the first sounds of the second section. It's a short woman's choir "hey" yell. It's not real noticeable but gives it some punch.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Agreed, another superb offering from our synth wizard. This music is a nice palette cleanser. Hopefully he keeps it coming!
    Hi Michael,

I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Wonderful key change at about 1:10. The rather funky passage at about 4:00 is really cool, somehow Western in tone. I imagine a group of Wagon Trains rambling through the prairie.
    The last part is quite western. I imagined something similar.

It is tempting to make a foray into this interesting world. The sounds are incredible. No worrying about how realistic the samples are, or how to get the strings right. The power and clarity of electronic instruments can be stunning.
    It's a different way of composing. You have less control over the sounds and what they do but they will inspire you. You don't have to worry about adding modulation or overlapping notes just right in the piano roll and all that. There is a certain amount of tweaking needed( a lot where the two solo patches ascended) but it's not nearly as tedious as working with orchestral or most other natural instrument libraries.

Right, the great thing is that the music is not just an emulation of what real instruments sound like.

It's a crazy music genre for sure. I checked out an active electronic music forum and there are restrictions to maintain some sense of order among the hoards of young posters. I noticed an ad for altering tattoos.

Phil

Talking Re: The Passage

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

So glad you posted this little 'alternative' piece of music here. It proves that the so called traditional instruments can easily be replaced by modern gear without torturing our ears. Quite the opposite actually. Your piece shows inventiveness, spirit an a good portion of variation. The synths produce a nice, enjoyable rich sound and support the rather traditional harmonies well.
    Max
    Thanks for the very insightful comments Max.

I think electronic sounds have sort of gotten a bad rap because they used for so much obnoxiously repetitive and seemly mindless beats dance music. EDM.

The classical composer in a new role. Fantastic, isn't it? I guess many of us wondered what if Mozart would have had such equipment? And a PC and virtual instruments...?

I did imagine this music using orchestra or natural instruments in place of synthetic sounds. I think they are connected, it's just that the approach is a little different.

I think maybe Mozart would have been dangerous if he had this technology.

Phil

I think maybe Mozart would have been dangerous if he had this technology.

Quite right, that's exactly the way I think about it. And what about the endless arguments with his traditional father? A big generation conflict...

Max

Go Back to forum