• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Handel's Water Music for GPO

Share/Bookmark

Handel's Water Music for GPO

My favorite Sunday jaunt has become walking across the walking bridge that spans the mighty Ohio between Indiana and Kentucky. About half way across, speakers have been installed that play Handel's Water Music 24 hours a day. The effect is quite admirable - one can almost imagine the music coming from the orchestra's barge down below, and for a minute, I forget that I am 4000 miles from London and 300 years removed from the first performance.

Anyway, I was inspired to try my own performance. Here is the first half of the Hornpipe from the Suite in D. I will probably finish the movement if people like it so far. It's 100% GPO.

https://app.box.com/s/l51jp97uwrxxxt4394cyfrz97164373h

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Handel's Water Music for GPO

The horns and trumpets are magnificent. I have never heard GPO brass sound so well. Definitely finish it, but I would suggest waiting for GPO5, to get better string sound.

How do you manage to get the brass that good? Any tips would be appreciated! The sound is as good as EWSO, or Vienna Sp Ed.

Hmm, I wonder if I can get them to do this up here in Maine? No, somebody would probably shoot out the speakers...

I agree with Michael. Your trumpets cry out in crystalline majesty!

What is this I hear about GPO5? Wow! What exciting news!

It sounds like GPO's piccolo trumpet which is possibly its strongest brass sample.

Hello Owen:

Thanks for the lovely work.
    I hope you'll forgive me, I love this music, and since it is available for download, I downloaded it and (without changing anything else) I used a little EQ, normalized it and added a little reverb, and this way I liked your work even more.
    If you do not like what I done, I understand, tastes and ears are different, it maybe just my failing ears I compensated for.

Ted

https://app.box.com/s/hbccobte0mik2scpnyo5o7tca3s98vpt

Thank you all for your comments about the brass. Here what I did:

• Samples used: Trumpet Solo 1 and Trumpet Solo 2, then Horn Solo 1 and Horn Solo 2
    • Lots of reverb
    • CC1 (Modulation wheel) set pretty high - around 100, I think it was, but I like to vary it as I play
    • Live playing - this is my secret weapon. I try to make the sound brassy as I play. For instance, I separate the repeated notes to make them semi-staccato, so they sound like "Bup bup bup" instead of "Fuuuh fuuuh fuuuh". This latter step is, I think, the most powerful of all.
    • Use of sustain pedal to separate the legato notes from the tongued ones.

I guess it helps that I'm a brass player!

Thank you, Ted, for taking the trouble to do that, and post the result. Advice like that is the main reason I'm here at the forum.

It seems like you've boosted the bass a bit? Interesting that you added reverb - I already had what I thought was almost too much, but you're not the first person to suggest that I could use some more. I'll have to have a play.

As far as EQ goes, it's one thing I really struggle with. I shudder at all those frequency bands, and I never know where to start.

Finish it up. I always like to hear Handel; he has a flair for show which I just enjoy listening to.

As for EQ, I'd probably be one of the last people to ask about the nuances of it; all I typically do is the usual boost and sweep...
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Finish it up. I always like to hear Handel; he has a flair for show which I just enjoy listening to.

As for EQ, I'd probably be one of the last people to ask about the nuances of it; all I typically do is the usual boost and sweep...

I will finish it! Yes, Handel sure could write a good tune.

I think you're more of an expert than I am regarding EQ, since I have no idea what "the usual boost and sweep" is!

Boost and sweep: Set up a fairly narrow band boost in the EQ, and then sweep it across the whole frequency range to look for any particular frequencies that sound bad (and which are thus amplified by your boosting them), typically a resonance of some sort, and then once you've found a spot, change the boost into a cut instead to diminish that frequency instead.

A search for 'EQ sweep' on YouTube should give some examples of how it works.

(My apologies if I'm mangled the terminology or methodology!)
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast