• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach's Welltempered Clavier II - Prelude in Bflat-minor for ORCHESTRA

Share/Bookmark

Bach's Welltempered Clavier II - Prelude in Bflat-minor for ORCHESTRA

Of all the Preludes from Bach's Welltempered Clavier I adore the most the one in Bflat-minor from book II for its tender transcendence, espeacially with the outstanding rendering by Daniel Barenboim. Here now my orchestration ...

www.gerdprengel.de/Bach_WT2-Bflat-minor-Prelude_orch.mp3

Gerd

Re: Bach's Welltempered Clavier II - Prelude in Bflat-minor for ORCHESTRA

Hi Gerd,

Divine music in the hands of a great orchestrator. What you did is absolutely fantastic with lots of respect for the master's intentions. A difficult task to perform. You did honour to Bach's genius.

But I would like to add a prudent comment. The only thing that could improve is the dynamics. They sound too abrupt and slider-like. Not natural at all. Did you do them in your DAW? A modest (de)crescendo in the score would sound better. And there are a few dynamic leaps as well where you suddenly have a huge difference. That doesn't sound like an accent or so, but more like some fit af rage from the musician playing that part... You did such a nice orchestrating job and the dynamics are in comparison rather poor. Such a pity...

Max

Dear Max,
    I checked the work again regarding the dynamics. What I could see was that there were problems in the ending starting at 2:40, which I corrected now. Can you check it again? Are there still problematic parts? Where exactly?

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I've noticed some improvement, but there are still some strange changes of volume.

First let's put a couple of things together:
    • This is a baroque piece. It is unusual in the practice to play with dynamics in the construction of the delicate tissue of a fuga. You orchestrated the piece, so you have an orchestra at your finger tips to increase the volume (more instruments), without putting one or other slider up. Even in notation, the hairpins should be performed very gradually and not in leaps. It's quite common in romantic music to create huge dynamic contrasts, but please, don't do that here. Your start is so elegant and smooth, so delicate. Let it flow it's natural flow.
    • Second: if you would want to insert some accents, don't do that with volume or expression, but with velocity: add some more velocity and you will have a noticeable accent on that particular note. It creates a different attack and with the VSL instruments, a different sound (vel Xfade).

Some points of attention: 1'22: cresc. too sudden; a bit further the cresc. is alright. (at 1'24)
    at 1'33 the reduction is too abrupt and sounds unnatural.

The rest is pretty much OK and very beautifully orchestrated.

Kindly,
    Max

Beautiful music, orchestration, and suggestions by Max.

Ted

Dear Max,
    Thank you so much for your helping hints. I tried to work them out as good as I could.

Here I also have now the score:

www.gerdprengel.de/Bach_WT2-Bflat-minor-Prelude_orch.pdf

Gerd

Dear Max,
    Thank you so much for your helping hints. I tried to work them out as good as I could.

Here I also have now the score:

www.gerdprengel.de/Bach_WT2-Bflat-minor-Prelude_orch.pdf

Gerd

Go Back to forum