• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: On clarity: An Open Letter to Nick Phoenix

On clarity: An Open Letter to Nick Phoenix

sponsored links

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    Let me get this straight. YOU are also on the beta team for GPO.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OK - Nick - despite the fact that this will reward you for your incessant tantrums - and will probably spiral out into your classic pattern of self-actualized victimization - I\'ll put a final response to the statement above in terms that you can hopefully grasp once and for all:

1. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I was not a beta tester for GPO. I\'m waiting for it just like everyone else.</font>
    2. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I never said that I was a beta tester for GPO</font>
    3. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am a Garritan customer, and have been for years. After the ballyhooing here, I called Gary to get clarification of some particulars on his current and upcoming products. It\'s called customer support.</font>
    4. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Any information that I\'ve discussed here about the workings of GPO or any other Garritan product came from the information on the Garritan web site, public contributions by the GPO beta testers, and my conversations with Gary as a customer.</font>
    5. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I spoke to Gary about a few things I had done in the past and would like to offer my time and talent to produce templates with Nuendo and Cubase that could allow people to realize mock-ups more quickly. He thought it was a good idea. It\'s called product support and user support.</font>
    6. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Aside from the facts above, and the fact that I am not at this time a part of Gary\'s beta team, the nature of my business with anyone I help is really none of your business in every and any sense of the phrase.</font>
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    Understand that:
    </font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">my thoughts are my own</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">my beliefs are my own</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">my opinions are my own</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">my statements are my own</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">no one has ever told me to say or type anything on this forum. Ever.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">the mere fact that I even have to say this implies that stooping to the level of explaining things as to a child is the only remaining means of communication here - a truly sad day</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    The downward spiral of recriminating insinuation, conspriacy theorizing run amok, and outright speculative fiction only serves to steer people away from here. I was just at a major film screening here in West Hollywood, and asked a few former GigaStudio users there what they thought of the Northernsounds forum. The response was, \"What\'s that place for any more?\" and the other was simply [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ... There\'s a whole world out there that leaves this place more and more marginalized every day.

The folks at Garritan may be upset with me for posting this. The folks at NickandDougForums - I mean - Nothernsounds forums may be upset with me about my statements here. But I\'m prepared to deal with it because I speak from my own position, not the position of anyone else. They can learn to deal with it. You can learn to deal with it - and the world will turn and the sun will come up.

But the first step toward establishing some shred of credibility is to get your facts straight. I hope I clarified a few things for you, because you\'re not going to waste any more of my time. Keeping you honest and clear on the facts is an overtime job, and I\'ve already got one of those. Life is too short to drink cheap beer, weak coffee, or take in anything of diluted value.

Now - back to your regularly scheduled flame fest.

Edited for typo - not.

South Ken, London

Re: On clarity: An Open Letter to Nick Phoenix

I think a closed letter to Nick in person might have been more appropriate.

I hope Desound and PaPa will soon move this post to the Off topic ranting section [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

One thing for clarity. You began this whole mess by attacking our libraries for no good reason. You posted the first attack. This post is now deleted, but we can dig it up, if you are denying this. Everything was civil until you showed up. I am done with this.

... if you say it often enough... people will start to believe....

if you have a response, please post it in the off topic discussion so I can ignore it more easily. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Really, stop posting this pointless nonsense in the sample libraries discussion forum. Why not ATLEAST post this in East West\'s forum?

Furthermore, hurry up with those demos, Nick [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I\'m not buying Silver till I hear them.

All right, that does it! Maybe THIS will knock some sense into you guys:

First click:

Then click:
    Go ahead - click here too.

Now go to your rooms. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

This is going to be better than Thanksgiving dinner with the relatives.

It\'s no fun to be angry - we\'ve all been there and I\'m sorry.

Healthy Diversion for you.

Originally posted by JudasCloud:
    Really, stop posting this pointless nonsense in the sample libraries discussion forum. Why not ATLEAST post this in East West\'s forum?

Furthermore, hurry up with those demos, Nick [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I\'m not buying Silver till I hear them.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Because it wouldn\'t last five minutes in Doug\'s forums. He\'d see that it\'s not constructive to the popularity of the libraries/forums/people in charge and delete it.

Frankly, I\'d love to see just how he was \"downing\" the library. Past experience shows if you say *anything* bad about the library the developers whine about how long it took to make it, try to make you look like an idiot and a heathen, and when that doesn\'t work just deletes those posts to try to gloss things over.

I don\'t get you Houston I really don\'t. In your post above you deny stating you were a member of the GPO beta team. You attack Nick for saying that you were a member of the GPO beta team.
    Yet in another thread you say this:

\"I would like to make a correction that seems to have caused a lot of undue noise here. Here\'s the quote:

I\'ve been allowed to join Gary Garritan\'s beta team to address some of these issues and build templates for his orchestra with the Steinberg line of sequencers.
    It should have read: \"I\'ve requested to join Gary Garritan\'s beta team...\"

Once again - for the record - I am not now, nor have I to date beta\'d a product for Gary. My role is simply as an interested customer that is adding to the support tools that can be shared with Garritan\'s other users. For a full clarification of my personal positon, please read my open letter.

My apologies to Gary if the mis-statement caused any difficulties.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music \".....

Perhaps an open letter of apology to Nick is in order?

Originally posted by Marsdy:
    Perhaps an open letter of apology to Nick is in order?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nick\'s incessant complaints were an attempt to recast the crass announcements made surrounding the \"release\" of a cut down EastWest orchestral library. I personally view the announcements of the Silver edition of the Quantum Leap library to be a reactive shill that\'s geared to the sole purpose of denying sales to Gary Garritan. \"Business is war\" and all that, but as a customer I was offended. In America we\'re still entitled to a personal opinion - and this one\'s all mine.

My offer to Gary was an attempt to offer some form of pro-active peer support and share some contributive component with his other customers - share the love, as it were. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I consider Garritan to be the best company in the sample library business, and I feel like I should support him as much as I feel supported by his incredible work.

One no-brainer idea that I came up with was to take two top-flight sequencers that I own - Cubase SX 2 and Nuendo 2 - and create templates that would allow users to get up and running on GPO with a variety of orchestral instrumentations. It\'s something that I would do for myself regardless of anyone else\'s interest - but to share it with other GPO users is a way to save others some work and help everyone get to \"the good stuff\" that much faster. A rising tide lifts all ships.

As a follow-on to that, I mentioned an issue I\'ve had in interest in for more than 15 years - just temperaments and dynamic microtuning in ensemble performance. I asked Gary what he thought and the response was to the tune of \"That sounds interesting. You should be getting GPO soon so let me know what you think and when you\'ll have the templates ready to share.\" I completely mistook Gary\'s statement as a inference that I was going to receive a pre-release version of GPO - as I had heard from a third party that the release was for the end of November. As it is, Gary has \"beaten the street\" with a mid-month release of his Personal Orchestra, and I\'m left happily red-faced at my mis-assumption. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I need to make a side note to share a bit more of my perspective, I\'ve been in this kind of situation before - where a company will send me a pre-release version of their software for my comments. The phrase to refer to my role - beta tester - is often used, even though any feedback I might provide would go toward integration with an interfacing product, not development of the product under scrutiny, per se. I\'ve been officially out of the synth business for 8 years - and didn\'t understand the \"load\" that\'s associated with the word \"beta tester\" in these circles. It seems to confer special super powers on the recipient, and shouldn\'t be uttered too glibly. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] So, I proceed to gallop off in my own direction to do my work and commence to commiting the mis-worded posts here. I\'ve been corrected and have made what I think is the appropriate adjustment to the text and context of my previous posts.

However it was Nick that has gotten so much mileage from my personal mistake by making every effort to impugn Gary and feign the victim by inferring some use of \"secret-super-uber-ninja-beta-goons\" to sabotage Nick\'s announcements. From what I\'ve read in this forum, Gary\'s real beta testers are honest dealers that disclose their previous role after the \"real\" beta work is complete, and they seem to speak from a position of real authority both on music and technology. I don\'t see them having the time or inclination to conspire against anyone, as they seem to have a lot on the ball and more important things to do.

As far as the noise from Nick on account of my missives here, I\'ve made apology to the people that deserve it. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast