• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EQ - does anyone use it on orchestral pieces?

Share/Bookmark

EQ - does anyone use it on orchestral pieces?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Both with live orchestra recordings and sample-based pieces. - Is there ever a case where EQ can enhance the transition from real space to stereo reproduction? I assume that it will only create artifacts and destroy the spatial unity.

Re: EQ - does anyone use it on orchestral pieces?

It\'s normal to use eq, and it won\'t destroy anything if it\'s used well.

One pitfall I often struggle with is that you tend to want to make things brighter when you solo them, and then you end up making the whole mix upper midrange-heavy. Your ears get used to that sound very quickly; after 20 minutes, what sounds harsh sounds normal.

This is compounded by the fact that composers tend to mix when they\'re exhausted from writing!

So what are typical EQ practices in orchestral music? I\'m well versed in this with electronic music - I employ very large amounts of EQing. My instincts are to EQ low frequencies out of most instruments to make room for the bass etc., but the arrangement of orchestral pieces is SO different. And to EQ the violins (for example) as a section seems odd because they have such a large range.
    The only thing that makes sense to me is to apply subtle EQ when mastering.

I have a same problem Luke and consider this question for some time. I’m not sound engineer, but I believe to have a good ear and go there with feeling. I post two short pieces, one with EQ-Compressor and one Dry (little reverb)

http://membres.lycos.fr/berass/SISS_MINI-RV.mp3
    http://membres.lycos.fr/berass/SISS_MINI-RVQ.mp3

…What you think?

I like the one without EQ better. There\'s way too much high end on the EQed one. I usually have the problem with putting too much high end EQ, also. It\'s frusterating.

What sample sets are you using? They sound great. The second is louder and the bass is more powerful. On the headphones I have, I prefer the second.

I usually add some high end (10-15khz), especially to trumpets, sometimes a bit to strings too. Depends on the piece and on the samples used. For percussion I sometimes take some highend out (again, depends on the samples - especially snare drums I don\'t like too bright). Generally take out a little around 120-170hz to get rid of some \"boom\".

One good rule of thumb is to start with a ruler flat EQ and drop frequency levels rather than enhance them to start. Its amazing how a little change can effect the timbral characteristics of a recorded section. Sometimes, less is more.

So what are typical EQ practices in orchestral music? I\'m well versed in this with electronic music - I employ very large amounts of EQing. My instincts are to EQ low frequencies out of most instruments to make room for the bass etc., but the arrangement of orchestral pieces is SO different. And to EQ the violins (for example) as a section seems odd because they have such a large range.
    The only thing that makes sense to me is to apply subtle EQ when mastering.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Since you are working with sampled instruments, a lot of the \"rules\" (whatever they are) can go out the window. For example, Jeremy Soule uses a soft knee compressor on basses and cellos to focus them a little.

You are right on about removing mud (usually low mids) and also you can roll off frequencies that dont really serve the instrument and might be adding noise. Samples have noise too.

Here is a mix I did right before a gaming conference last week; www.scottcairns.com/showreel/battle-march.mp3 It probably has a little too much high end brightness but I ran out of time and had to go with what I had. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ah yes. That piece sounds like game music - i.e. it\'s not concerned with realism, but punchiness.
    Compression on cellos and basses is going to interfere with the natural dynamics of the piece, surely?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast