• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impressions of score for Master and Commander

Share/Bookmark

Impressions of score for Master and Commander

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Just Master and Commander yesterday and liked the score on the first hearing. I expected more bombast, but there\'s acutally a lot of duets--the lead and secondary characters play violin and cello, and their duets are worked into the story.

Some original music. Mostly by Bach, Vaughan Williams and Boccherini. Richard Tognetti, conductor of the Australian Chamber Orchestra, put together the score.

(I\'m not a big Russell Crow fan, and the plot is all fantasy--the British are entirely the good guys here against those terrible French. Apparently in the original novel by Patrick O\'Brien, the pursuing ship was American. Fox Studios: Fair and Balanced. I like the score, though.)

Re: Impressions of score for Master and Commander

I know that they were going for a more atmospheric score, but I wasn\'t hugely into it. It seemed just dying for a big theme in some places but it never really showed up. And with all of the classical stuff and dueling cello/violin, it seemed kind of disjointed. When the \'score\' came in, it was just kind of pads or that big drum thing - which sounded great, I just would have preferred a more traditional melodic \'big\' score. Kind of reminds me of my reaction to Gangs Of New York, which I also wasn\'t a huge fan of for that same reason. The movie was pretty good though....

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    Just Master and Commander yesterday and liked the score on the first hearing. I expected more bombast, but there\'s acutally a lot of duets--the lead and secondary characters play violin and cello, and their duets are worked into the story.

Some original music. Mostly by Bach, Vaughan Williams and Boccherini. Richard Tognetti, conductor of the Australian Chamber Orchestra, put together the score.

(I\'m not a big Russell Crow fan, and the plot is all fantasy--the British are entirely the good guys here against those terrible French. Apparently in the original novel by Patrick O\'Brien, the pursuing ship was American. Fox Studios: Fair and Balanced. I like the score, though.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Quite an unconventional score for this type of film.

I didn\'t think the film portrayed the french as villians at all, it was a movie where you were following one side in a conflict... come on ol\' chap, we Brits have been the bad guys in a hell of a lot of hollywood movies, give us a break for once [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At least it wasn\'t as vomit inducing as \'the patriot\' [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (nice score tho)

> Patriot

I didn\'t like Patriot much. I feel like watching Braveheart again with the actors in different costumes.

It\'s a mature score that I think reflected the movie well. Reminds me of the late Georges Delerue. There\'s a nice meloncholy theme that shows up a couple of times during the movie but it\'s restrained.

Go Back to forum