• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach's Welltempered Clavier II - Fugue in B-Major for ORCHESTRA

Share/Bookmark

Bach's Welltempered Clavier II - Fugue in B-Major for ORCHESTRA

Together with the Fugue in E my favourite fugue in Major keys in Bach's Welltempered Clavier is the one in B-Major (BWV 982). So I also tried to orchestrate this which will be probably my the last orchestration from the Welltempered Clavier.
    It is based on a solemn theme of half notes and develops to a wonderful majestic ending:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Bach_WT2-B...Fugue_orch.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Bach_WT2-B...Fugue_orch.pdf

Re: Bach's Welltempered Clavier II - Fugue in B-Major for ORCHESTRA

Listened to both the Eb and the B, and of course enjoyed both. I was thinking why I like these more in your orchestration than on the piano, and I know now the answer, because your selection of the instruments bring up more of the genius of Bach, easier to hear how he wove the parts...
    Great job, very well done

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...I was thinking why I like these more in your orchestration than on the piano, and I know now the answer, because your selection of the instruments bring up more of the genius of Bach, easier to hear how he wove the parts...
    Great job, very well done

Ted
    Wow, Ted, this is a compliment, thank you, this means really much to me! I feel the same way...

Happy new year, with lots of new musical discoveries ...!

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

Prosit 2016!

So lovely. Very good orchestration, probably your best so far. Such a delicate sound and the phrases are so distinct and recognisable. Masterful is the right word here. Ted is right, it shows Bach's intentions better than on one single instrument. But of course such an orchestration always holds a danger. The voices and the tissue must be respected to the slightest detail. And that is exactly what you've done. Congratulations.
    One small remark (not criticism!): the recording and the phrases would benefit from some more orchestral depth (distancing of the instrument(sections)). It would make the lines a bit more counter-point. Now they melt or blend nicely together to a smooth sound, but that's not the original aim of a fuga...

Many congratulations,
    Max

Go Back to forum