• Register
  • Help

Topic: need some book recommendation please

Share/Bookmark

need some book recommendation please

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hello!

I want to improve my mixing and mastering skills (which are not very good now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) by reading books about this topic. I found some books but are all about mixing pop - songs and so on. I am looking for books, which are about mixing orchestral pieces. Maybe some of you could give me some recommendations.
    Thanks.

Re: need some book recommendation please

One of my favorite books is Modern Recording Techniques

Now if you\'re talking about recording an orchestra then there\'s a lot of special techniques engineers use that they don\'t with a typical rock band. However, if your mixes are coming from sample libraries and your primary interest is learning to mix down something professional sounding, then I don\'t see much defference between the 2.

Getting a hot signal from a mic is practically a science, it\'s the mixing that requires sensitive ears and a talent for hearing frequencies. What you need is an ability to distinguish all the characteristics of a desired recording and recreate those characteristics in your project. All of the engineers I know (and I know some pretty good ones) find a really good recording that closely matches the song they\'re doing and use it as a reference. In fact, referencing is really the meat and potatoes of mixing. I don\'t know how many times I\'ve gotten a good mix, burned it down to cd only to find that when I play it in my car it sounds like a completely different mix. You need to constantly reference what you\'re doing with other professional recordings and on different audio systems.

That\'s my 2 coppers anyway. Good luck and let us know if you come across some good books [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thanks for your reply..

Originally posted by His Frogness:
    ...if your mixes are coming from sample libraries and your primary interest is learning to mix down something professional sounding....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, this is exactly want I want to learn.
    Somewhere I read, that \"The Art of Mixing\" by David Gibson is a good book. I think I will check this out first...

I think mixing is something you have to learn through listening and doing.

That said, I have heard good things about a set of ear training discs specifically for audio engineers to train their ears for mixing.

Golden Ears

Also, though not specifically catered to mixing, I read Bob Katz\' book: Mastering Audio. It is a great read and contains much useful information to anyone working with audio content.

Katz - Mastering Audio

Go Back to forum