• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Saw The Nutcracker today--can you still like it?

Share/Bookmark

Saw The Nutcracker today--can you still like it?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I took my son to see The Nutcracker today and had a great seat and heard a great performance of it by the Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra, with good, young dancers who understood the humor and lightness.

Is anyone else still brought to life by The Nutcracker? Don\'t misundertand me--it doesn\'t mean as much to me as The Rite of Spring, but seeing and hearing this today was very, very good. Maybe it was all the kids dressed-up and bright-eyed, but I\'m in love with its textures and contrapunctual lines and orchestration again. Anyone else see a good performance of this in the past few days? I think I liked it so much, in part, because of its drive towards melodic lines (there\'s at least one 1-6-4-5 progression) with the constant the pull of all the other lines underneath and above. (Am I getting misty-eyed?)

Re: Saw The Nutcracker today--can you still like it?

So I guess I\'m getting misty-eyed...

hi
    its interesting that you mentioned the rite of spring because Tchaikovsky was one of Stravinski\'s favorite composers i have most of his music but i must admit i havent listened to him much lately but i love Karajan\'s versions the 5th and 6th Symphonies and he was a genuine melodist

cheers

I still love all the music to the nut cracker.
    I use to listen to it on record, as a kid, way before I ever saw the Ballet.

That brings back memories of listening to Serasate\'s (SP?) \"Fantasie on Carmen\" for solo violin and orchestra. I used to love that record so much, it is suprising that I became a pianist and not a violinist. LOL

But, back to Tchaikovsky. I think that he was one of the best ways for a kid, like me, to get interested in classical. His melodies are strong and moving. Maybe it was his piano concerto\'s that steered my towards the paino. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Great, now I gotta go and listen to some Tchaikovsky. You got me singing 1812 overature, and Swan lake in my head.

I think it\'s very funny that the Nutcracker was thought by Mr.T to be his worst creation, yet it remains the most popular of all his music. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What else should I listen to by T?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    What else should I listen to by T?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you haven\'t heard them already, I think the 1812 is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever, and I also really loved his Piano Concerto no.2

I\'ve always hated T\'s big things and liked his lighter work. 1812 reached for the climax too soon, for me, but he started most of the Nutcracker light and built the lines in interesting ways.

I had no idea that Stravinsksi liked T so much. Are there any letters or or other ways to trace the influence that I can read?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    I\'ve always hated T\'s big things and liked his lighter work. 1812 reached for the climax too soon, for me, but he started most of the Nutcracker light and built the lines in interesting ways.

I had no idea that Stravinsksi liked T so much. Are there any letters or or other ways to trace the influence that I can read?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hi Jake

I dont have the information at hand but i am sure if you check out books written by Robert Craft who was Stravinski\'s assistant you will get the information you need

i do know that Stravinski\'s father was a well known baritone and he was taken to all the performances i recall reading that T\'s 6th symphony had a special resonace for Stravinski

but one has to only recall the importance of ballet in Stravinski\'s music to see how T would of had a big influence maybe not discernable directly because of difference\'s in musical language but none the less still there, parts of the 6th symphony for eg are very powerfull
    your post made me relisten to it and i tried to keep the rite of spring in my mind and tried to imagine Stravinski as a boy listening to it, all very subjective, but i had no problems making a connection, Stravinski also wrote a piece called \"The Fairy\'s Kiss \" which if my memory serves me correctly was modelled on T

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast