• Register
  • Help

Topic: Current Events

Share/Bookmark

Current Events

Here's some more electronic music.

I used u-he's Diva, Apple's Alchemy and the GPO 4 tubular bells. It's my first effort totally using Logic Pro X for my DAW.

Current Events

Re: Current Events

Wow!!!!!
    Like watching a news cast in musical terms! (I am not making excuses for myself, but you do know my romantic liking's, so, by right this should be strange to me, but it isn't. Maybe I am changing?)
    What else can I say to praise your work? Just great.

Ted

Thank for the comments Ted! I'm happy you enjoyed this music.

I imagine there is a certain amount of romantism in this music even though almost all the sounds are synthetic so you're probably not becoming too unwired.

Actually that reminds me of my experience when I for some reason started to listen to Kraftwerk a while back. I could only handle short amounts of their music at first and then I guess a switch went on in my brain and it began to make musical sence to me or musical communication was now established.

Music using synthetic sounds is different but hopefully it comes from the same source.

Nice work once again, Phil. I think part of the attraction to synthetic sounds is that, unlike "real" instruments - we could get into some metaphysics here - they have such a pure edge to them. String sections by comparison sound very rough and throaty (even "real" strings). Also, the synths are always amped-up, so the sound is very bright and full. And of course, no limitations of range or register. Still, the orchestra, real or sampled, holds its own after several decades. I date the advent of this kind of music with the "Switched On Bach" album of Wendy Carlos. Then there was Tomita. I have his "Planets" on vinyl. Quite an experience. Whatever happened to that cat?

Phil - very well done. Are you positive you never wrote for the rock band Toto? The casual way you slide so smoothly from element to element would have worked perfectly in the original film "Dune," for which Toto wrote the film score.

Tom

Hi Michael,

Thanks for a nice comment and your thoughts about electronic music.

Not long ago I too would have thought that Switched On Bach began electronic music but after studying the history of the it I would say Wendy Carlos popularized the use of the synthesizer for classical music for a few years. Then the prog rock bands used them but neither lasted long or was influential for what today is electronic music. There were a few early electronic pioneers in Britain but the real electronic movement came from Germany(Carl Stockhausen 1960), which was the Berlin School (such as Tangerine Dream) and Düsseldorf (Kraftwerk). Tangerine Dream was like Pink Floyd and Kraftwerk became more melodic like the Beatles. These bands were actually creating their own hardware using the help of electronic engineers. The first moogs were like a mainframe computer, totally unaffordable except for the elite. Kraftwerk later constructed percussion, effect pads that were played with small sticks, adding two percussionists.

There are a few videos on YouTube of a 1970 Kraftwerk concert that was broadcast on German TV. If you listen to what they were doing then and then listen to Aphex Twin's Spyro album, which received the 2015 Grammy for an electronic album, you'll hear the connection.

Also the 1977 Donna Summer song I Feel Love, although considered disco then, was the first popular US electronic dance
    song. There is a crazy video of her performing it on YouTube where the studio recording is playing over the sound track. All the musicians are pretending to be playing but really only the synth players and singers are being used. The drummer is standing and flaying in the air with a couple of large sticks to the beat. Donna Summer does a robot mime during the instrumental break.

Thanks much Tom!

I saw Dune and am a David Lynch fan but didn't know Toto did the sound track. I never listened to prog rock much back then. I was more into Bowie, Iggy Pop, Roxy Music 10CC, some Zappa and others. I'll have to give it another listen. I did kind of like the Police though.

It probably helps with the sliding that I have no idea what I'm going to do. I just kind of mess around until things sort of gell.

Hi Phil,

A happy New Year to start!

Again you've surprised me with your skilful approach. This reminds me of the early years of the synth music (like many other members said). It's a sort of pleasant flash back. You did a terrific job and it looks like you're finding a new Phil in doing this, the musical pleasure is present in the whole piece.

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Happy New Year to you Max!

I was also surprised how this one turned out. Some of it by chance but mostly by determination.

I too had my synths days but it's pretty hard to compare then to what is going on today. EDM was a 62.5 billion dollar business in 2014 and I'm sure that number will increase. If you listen to commercials they are almost all now using electronic music. That tells me that electronic music has permiated our culture, especially the younger generations which may foretell the future of music.

It's kind of exciting to jump into something new with unknown creative possibilities. There is also a lot to learn as far as working with different plugins. Many people create from scratch or modify patches their own sounds. That's something I'll be looking into. Lots to learn.

Go Back to forum