• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale and EWQL Symphonic Choirs

Share/Bookmark

Finale and EWQL Symphonic Choirs

I know, I know - but I already contacted EWQL site with no help forthcoming. Finale tells me to "just add the PLAY_VST.dll to the Aria VST folder. I tried that. But I keep getting a note that says, "nothing registered to read files with extension dll."

Brief history: I did have EWQL SC loaded and working in Aria before windows 10 attacked. After removing windows ten and going back to windows 8.1 I reinstalled all of my music software. EWQL SC works fine as a stand alone, but I can ot get it into the instrument list along with Garritan instruments like before.

Re: Finale and EWQL Symphonic Choirs

Oh, Tom, I feel your pain. I tried the Windows 10 thing with my laptop and quickly reversed course within the day. It still works...sort of. Some things aren't quite the same. Just glad I never tried it with my desktop.

I only have two suggestions. First is to try finding an early restore point to restore your computer back to what it was long before you tried the upgrade. Second would be to either wipe the drive and reinstall everything, or you could buy a new hard drive and do a fresh install that way. Drastic as that may sound, it's the only thing I can think of.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Thanks, Gary.

I am going to get it to all work eventually. As you recall, it took months the first time, but we did get it working and working very well. At that time it was very experimental and everyone kept saying it was not possible to use EWSQ SC in Finale. This time around they are saying flat out - it can't be done. We proved them wrong then and we'll prove them wrong now.

Anyway, Saturday is day one on location shooting a new documentary so the music effort may get delayed a bit.

How are your own projects going, Gary? Hope to hear some of them soon.

Tom

Tom, I hope it works out for you. This is a good opportunity to tell folks not to have anything to do with Windows 10! I will stay with Seven until 2020, and probably well-beyond. And to keep Seven, or Eight I presume, requires extreme vigilance, as Microsoft is doing everything but sneaking into your house at night to install 10. you have to set Update to "never check for updates," and do a manual check once a month. and then install only security and Office updates. They are becoming ever more creative at forcing everyone in the known universe onto 10. Also, you need to download and run a program called "GWX Control Panel." It will find and remove anything related to W10. Personally, I almost never have my music rig online, so they don't have a chance to infect it. And my internet rig, which I'm on now, has Zorin, a Linux OS. I'm on it 90% of the time. What is happening here is unbelievable, in that one would think Ms would not be allowed to, essentially, rape your computer. But they are getting away with it. Which makes me think they are in collusion with Big Brother. "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

True, Michael. I got a pop-up while using Excel yesterday that informed me Excel would not be available except with Windows 10 after February 1, 2016. Since I am not using The Cloud and am rarely even attached to the web except to contact a few friends and forums from time to time, I couldn't see how such a situation was even possible. I use Excel extensively.

Some quick research showed the statement to be erroneous, but it does show the tactics being used to scare people into changing to Windows 10. A call to MS found that the pop-up should have read EXCEL would not be available for purchase except as a Cloud app after February. Nothing can be done to stop owners from using what they already have running on their machines.

Unless a person is nearly dependent on social media the allure of The Cloud escapes me completely. And the concept of spending considerable amounts of money to get floating software packages via the Cloud seems beneficial just to the provider, not the consumer.

Oh well, onward and upward.

Tom

Slight headway made. I ordered PreSonus Studio One 3 a few weeks ago and finally got it installed and running this evening. Lo, and behold! When I opened a new project I found at the bottom of the available inputs ARIA 32 and ARIA 64 as well as Play n64 (EWQL Symphonic Choirs). They all loaded easily into the DAW although I am not happy yet with the Garritan instruments. I'm sure that is just me trying to learn a new program. One solution is to remove assigned instruments in the Finale copy, import the Finale project in midi format into DAW and then assign instruments via the DAW. Not at all difficult, just takes getting familiar with the process.

The Choirs, however, sound wonderful as is but the WordBuilder doesn't work yet.

Now comes the bad news. Although I can easily import anything I write in Finale 2014 into the DAW, I can not see a score notation for editing. I am quite sure I was told by the salesman that it is possible, but I haven't found out how yet.

There is a Presonus program called Notion they consider to be a replacement for Finale that allows working the score notation within the DAW. I have some serious doubts along that line, especially when on their support page they told one owner that connecting notes across a bar line would be available as an add on in the near future. Yikes.

Tom

There is another program that has had some very good reviews, it's called Overture.

Currently on version 4.15, the latest incarnation, version 5, is due out any day now.

The program promises to be a half way house between notation and DAW (or sequencer), with MIDI controllers appearing (if wanted) alongside the notes. There is a cut down version of the program called Score Writer. Both will be available, any day now, on free 30 day trial. An new orchestral library will be included in the package in about a month's time, we're told, Kontakt based.

The company that makes it is called Sonic Scores and can be found here: http://sonicscores.com/
    They were one of, if not, the first to integrate sound libraries into a notation program.

Just to add another option to the pile.
    Happy New Year all.
    Regards.
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    There is another program that has had some very good reviews, it's called Overture.

Currently on version 4.15, the latest incarnation, version 5, is due out any day now.

The program promises to be a half way house between notation and DAW (or sequencer), with MIDI controllers appearing (if wanted) alongside the notes. There is a cut down version of the program called Score Writer. Both will be available, any day now, on free 30 day trial. An new orchestral library will be included in the package in about a month's time, we're told, Kontakt based.

The company that makes it is called Sonic Scores and can be found here: http://sonicscores.com/
    They were one of, if not, the first to integrate sound libraries into a notation program.

Just to add another option to the pile.
    Happy New Year all.
    Regards.
    John.
    I've been a long time user of Finale since the early 90's when I worked at Hal Leonard as an engraver. But I've always been intrigued by other programs. I love Finale but I just might have to try Overture 5, especially for the $129 price for the crossgrade. I'll see about kicking the tires on the demo version. It sure would be nice to have one program that does the work of both Finale and Sonar. I know a lot of people who work in nothing but a DAW for their composing/arranging. I'm too much a visual person and need to see the notes as I write. This sure would satisfy both.

On a side note about the current version of Finale 2014.5, I've had an issue with the latest version which I've been in touch with MakeMusic for support. One of the things I found out from them is the next version of Finale will finally support 64-bit. For Tom and myself who use EastWest libraries, that will be a huge help since they take up so much memory. Thought you'd like to know that, Tom. In any case, thanks for the "heads-up" John. I will definitely try the Overture 5 demo.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Tom,

It was hoped that when Presonus bought Notion, it would be integrated into Studio One. that obviously has not happened yet. They do state that you can use it alongside Studio, but that entails using Rewire, something I have no experience with. I also recently heard about Overture, and may give it a look. But my eye continues to be on Reaper, and the promised score editor, which should be out this year. I have no problem using Sonar, as it has a basic score editor that is helpful in composing. but you have to export to real notation software (Notion for me). And I use a very old version, 8.5. Eventually, that will become a problem. Studio One is something I also keep my eye on, as down the road there is the hope it will fully integrate Notion. But Reaper can be run on Linux. And eventually I want to transition to Linux. The only thing keeping me on Windows is music creation software, which has not yet realized there is a large and growing Linux community out there.

Well. Who would have thought? For those using Finale and wanting to also use EWQL Symphonic Choir with WordBuilder, here is how it's done.

Finale

1. Close Finale
    2. Copy your VST Plug-in's .dll file to the following folder...
      • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MakeMusic\Finale 2014 (or 2012)\VST Support
      • Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8: C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014 (or 2012)\VST Support
      • *If you have any questions about where to find your VST Plug-in's .dll file, please contact your VST Plug-in's support team to find out where your specific plug-in's .dll file is located. Be sure that you are copying the correct version of the .dll file for your operating system: 32-bit or 64-bit.

3. Open Finale
    4. Click MIDI/Audio > VST Banks & Effects...
    5. Select your VST Plug-in from the first Bank (Channels 1-16) in the VST Instrument column

It works beautifully.

Tom

Go Back to forum